Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to rebuild my fabric stash? >

How to rebuild my fabric stash?

How to rebuild my fabric stash?

Old 06-17-2019, 06:55 AM

Missouri Star Quilt Company is great and has good quality! My DH says I should have stock in the company. I have bought several of their "end of bolt" or "Jenny's Scrap Bag" offers which give a good variety for strip piecing or scrap quilts.

Last edited by SharonPye; 06-17-2019 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:14 AM

I have a big stash of fabrics and love it. I am slowly donating some fabrics and feel good that someone else can use it up.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:56 AM

If I were just starting to build my stash now, I would buy fat quarter bundles. Most will give you a nice variety of colors and patterns and there won't be a lot of leftover.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:25 PM

Great suggestions, thank you everyone! @mrs. fitz, NY isn't far from NH, hm...

I did get rid of much of it because what I had scared me. Not that it was a lot, but it was a lot for me. I would pick up something I loved, mostly prints, and not know what to make with it so when I actually went thru it all I discovered I really didn't have much for quilts and would have to buy solids, so I went the other way and pared down to a half a bin and wanted to use that up before I bought more, but now what I have isn't conducive to actual quilts, more like doll clothes or tote bags, because it's pretty much 1/4 - 1/2 yard cuts. Maybe I shouldn't go all out again, maybe I should start with what I have and decide what I actually want to make. Like a plan. What an idea!
Old 06-17-2019, 04:49 PM
Power Poster

I have a lot of larger amounts of fabrics and just bought 25 yds more. Mostly backing fabrics. All have been washed, dried, folded with ruler and neatly put on shelves in the closet.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:36 PM

I like your plan of starting back up with what you have, and make tote bags or doll clothes, if that’s what excites you about sewing again.

Based on what you have said, I strongly recommend that you only purchase fabric for your next project. Your scrap stash will grow at that rate, but if you have the discipline to finish one project at a time, you won’t get overwhelmed again.

I like to shop at Missouri Star, Connecting Threads, and Thousands of Bolts.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:42 PM

I think having a plan and buying for current projects to round out is best. I have a large stash which I am working from and I am focused on my current projects. I have one to finish by August. I have another to finish by November. I have one to finish by next March. It is an important one and will use a lot of different fabrics. I am also working on little projects to fill in and a Halloween quilt that I want done but not required by end of September.

Your tastes change so buying for current projects is best. I am currently using my stash to make blocks for fun that will go into charity quilts.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:13 AM

If I lived in New Hampshire I would go to Keepsake Quilting and get my fabric. I have been there several times in the past and it has all the variety you will want
Old 06-18-2019, 05:34 PM

Sew Sister 6.99 metre.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:54 PM

If I were to rebuild a stash now (I am 65), I don't think I would bother. All my lite I have loved fabric and buying it is even more fun. But now I think I give away more than I buy. (Some fabric just should not be left on a shelf for someone else to buy.) Now unless I have a purpose, I do not buy it - because when there is no plan in mind, either it matches nothing or there is not enough. It's always just a few inches short and too old to try and match. I do over buy usually, meaning if it calls for 2 yards, I buy 2.5 in case of shrinkage and never throw away the extra. I am doing more appliqué with my Accuquilt so use a lot of those left overs.

I do buy quite a bit of fabric from fabric.com and Missouri Star and Marshall's Dry Goods.