Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for Brick&Mortar fabric store NY or PA maybe? >

Looking for Brick&Mortar fabric store NY or PA maybe?

Looking for Brick&Mortar fabric store NY or PA maybe?

Old 07-11-2019, 04:20 AM

Obie's Country Store is in Goodville, PA. A trip there is on my bucket list.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I was also thinking Fieldstone house but Zooks in Intercourse PA is also packed with loads of fabric. Some people have said it looks more like a hoarders than a fabric shop. Fieldstone House you have to call in advance (a few days to play it safe!) to see if they are there as they spend most weekends traveling to quilt shows as a vendor.

Edited to add, I would opt for Zooks as that is right in the heart of Amish country and there are loads of shops in the area and all are very reasonably priced.
They have really "cleaned up" Zook's. And there are probably 8 or so other shops within a ten mile radius. Three are right there in Intercourse. And one about four miles down the road (on the same road) in Bird In Hand. I was just there on Monday.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:28 PM

Obie's is, as far as I'm concerned, a safety hazard! Rarely do I go into a store and leave without finding something to buy. It's so packed that the "aisles" are difficult to navigate, fabric bolts are stacked one on top of the other and layers deep, all the way to the ceiling. No thanks! I don't remember anything other than woven cotton (quilting fabric), but was quite overwhelmed, so could be wrong.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Obies.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	614746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Obies2.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	614747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Obies3.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	614748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Obies4.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	614749  
Old 07-12-2019, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
Obie's is, as far as I'm concerned, a safety hazard! Rarely do I go into a store and leave without finding something to buy. It's so packed that the "aisles" are difficult to navigate, fabric bolts are stacked one on top of the other and layers deep, all the way to the ceiling. No thanks! I don't remember anything other than woven cotton (quilting fabric), but was quite overwhelmed, so could be wrong.
I agree. I went to Obie's once and couldn't leave fast enough. I'm not claustrophobic but felt like it in the store. Mostly my reason for leaving was logical - I couldn't see how to get a fabric bolt out of a pile without it all coming down on top of me. No fun to be in a fabric store when you can't buy anything.