Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
wool pressing mat >

wool pressing mat

wool pressing mat

Old 03-07-2019, 06:10 AM

I have the 12 X 18 and love it. It fits on a small table near my machine and have never really noticed a strong smell that would stop me from using it. None really. I did read quite a few reviews and the one I thought may be right on was don't buy a cheap one. Not sure if there are any but I got mine from Quilt in a Day when they were on sale. Flat blocks for sure.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:39 AM

Those of you that bought your pad from ecorugpads.com
how are they working out? Has anyone bought 3 of the 1/4" pads to put on top of each other to get the full height of 3/4". I have some felting needles and thought I could felt them together.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:51 AM

I got one that covers my entire ironing surface through mass drop. Love it. Half of it is covered so I can starch and half is directly wool. I get amazingly flat blocks when I use the clapper on the directly on wool side.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:52 PM

I bought from ecorugs and was very pleased. I bought large enough to cover my Better Board with a piece to cut off for travel. Direct contact with wool is very uncomfortable for me, so I put the small piece in an old pillowcase and covered the Better Board with cotton.

See my comments at post 115 and 116 on this thread: Wool pressing mat? Used one?
Old 07-13-2019, 07:50 AM

Go to the tack store and ask for a wool felted saddle mat , they are about 1/4 inch thick , 30" X 30" and run any were from 20 to 30 dollars. I cover my with a sheet of muslin to keep it clean, and I love it. I can't see paying more money for the smaller ones, I do have a small one form the quilt store to take to classes but the bigger size works wonderful on my ironing table.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:45 PM

I go to a lot of retreats and get together with others to sew. Have the wool mat for embroidery. But for quilt pressing we took an Oak TV tray layered with multiple layers of cotton batting then covered with cotton duck fabric and stapled the fabric to the back. Videos on UTube of this. I even took some regular cotton fabric and put some elastic around it as a cover so I could wash it. Now we have created something larger. We took one of those small plastic adjustable tables and my husband cut 1/4” plywood to fit the shape. He used small screws around the outside edge to hold the wood to the plastic top. Just use an travel ironing pad and an old tablecloth thrown over it for pressing and the wood surface keeps small cutting mat in place for trimming blocks