Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Finally Bought a Jelly Roll >

I Finally Bought a Jelly Roll

I Finally Bought a Jelly Roll

Old 07-13-2019, 06:51 AM

The one thing I don’t like about the pinked edges is all the fluff I get from it. All over my shirt my pants in the machine. Ugh. I buy a lot of jelly rolls n layer cakes to make quilts. I would never use for charity quilts as they r too expensive
Old 07-13-2019, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AStitchInTime View Post
If your pinked strips are measuring slightly over 2 1/2 inches, try measuring from the valley of the pinked edge instead of the peaks. Some manufactures measure from the peaks, some from the valley, so it's always best to measure any pre-cut that has pinked edges.
I agree with this... try measuring from the valleys.

The pinked edges take some getting used to, but they are used to keep the long edges of the strips from raveling. They are quilt effective at that.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:27 AM

I measure then choose a place between the peak and the valley, if need be, to use as my 2.5" mark. The pinking does prevent raveling. You may want to take the vacuum to it while still rolled up. or a piece of tape to reduce the fuzzies.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:39 AM

A lint roller works great for removing the lint before unrolling the jelly roll. I only buy my precuts when they are on sale. But even without a sale, they are cost effective for me because I don't have a lot of scraps left to deal with.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:32 AM

Having cut out all the pieces and wrestled with these to get them to fit, I finally measured them and they measure almost an 1/8th of an inch bigger than 2 1/2" wide.
Which would explain why I couldn't get the angles to work out when I have to match a 45 degree angle between every piece.
Now, I am slicing the pinked edge off and then turning it around and cutting it to 2 1/2" on each piece of the jelly roll fabric. Not exactly a time-saver.
Yup...I think I'll just go back to choosing my own colours and cutting my own 2 1/2" strips. All of the strips I cut of yardage work out fine.

Watson