Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who is using decorative stitches? >

Who is using decorative stitches?

Who is using decorative stitches?

Old 07-24-2019, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by judykay View Post
Thanks for the idea, I never thought to back my quilts with fleece. Am I correct in thinking you eliminate the batting?
I tried my first one recently and went with no batting. It is fine, but if I did it again I'd put in a really light batting but I like that squish factor Also to consider is my fleece was very dark and while it didn't show through my front, it would have with a lighter top. It was easy to work with, I did an all over clam shell with about a 6" repeat.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by judykay View Post
Thanks for the idea, I never thought to back my quilts with fleece. Am I correct in thinking you eliminate the batting?
Yes Judykay I do not use batting, just the top and the fleece, then I bind by machine. I make mainly comfort quilts and they need to be light weight and washable.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by rvsfan View Post
What is the Serpentine stitch? I don't know if my machine has it or not . It's a Pfaff QE 4.2 .
Here's a video using the serpentine stitch on a Brother Dream Weaver XE machine. Hope this helps you. You will have to scroll down a way to get to the video.
P.S. Wow! That laser on that machine is fantastic. I didn't know something like even existed on machines.

https://quiltsocial.com/machine-quil...entine-stitch/
Old 07-24-2019, 06:06 PM

Default Serpintine stitch

Originally Posted by littledentist View Post
Those elephants are delicious! I keep hearing about this mysterious serpentine stitch.
Originally Posted by rvsfan View Post
What is the Serpentine stitch? I don't know if my machine has it or not . It's a Pfaff QE 4.2.
The Serpentine stitch photos can be found at
What is a Serpentine Stitch?
https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f...ml#post6980266
Here's the Serpentine stitch

rvsfan, Carol in WI has used stitch #77 per

Originally Posted by Carol in WI View Post
I also have the Pfaff EXpression 4.2 and have used stitch # 77 set at 5.0 and 16 to get what looks like a typical Serpentine stitch. You could also use stitch # 76 I think......
I was wondering about #77 after I downloaded http://www.pfaff.com/SiteMedia/PFAFF...verview-EN.pdf as I wasn't sure what it would look like stitched out as I thought #76 looked more like a serpentine stitch. It looks like #119 might be very similar as well. Maybe if you 'played' with length and width settings you will find a setting and stitch you like.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 07-24-2019 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Not affiliated with off-site link
Old 07-24-2019, 06:59 PM

on my Elna Quilt Pro Queen, I've used the decorative stitches finishing the binding, especially on children's quilts; fusible applique (blanket, zig-zag, etc); on tote bags; when doing machine crazy quilting; and most recently a wide zig-zag to finish my tuffet stool
Old 07-25-2019, 06:06 AM

I have used them on finishing bindings especially if the quilt is going to be used and washed a lot. I use my alphabet stitches to create my quilt labels and have occasionally used them in sashings. One of these days I am going to make a crazy quilt so anticipate using them but for the most part my machine has way more options than I will ever use.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:06 PM

I believe you can. I use fleece too sometimes- as both backing and batting rolled into one. You only have to baste 2 layers this way and it's really lightweight. Which can also mean a little thinner and therefore easier to quilt.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:31 AM

I use them for the binding sometime, usually for a kids quilt.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:29 PM
DJ

Originally Posted by Bobbinalong View Post
DJ uses 'the same two or three' decorative stitches, but are they the same two or three that someone else might use? Which are your 'go to' favourites?
I like the serpentine as has been mentioned. I also use a couple of leaf designs quite often as well as the blanket stitch for applique. I've used some of the animals and hearts for children's things like bibs.

I will be making my DGD a Dirndl and imagine I will use some decorative stitches to embellish the edge of the skirt and/or the apron.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:06 PM

I use them occasionally for place mats and machine binding. I have neuropathy that doesn't allow me to keep a steady speed on the pedal, so the stitches are shall we say of variable size.