Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I bought my first  Featherweight! >

I bought my first Featherweight!

I bought my first Featherweight!

Old 08-05-2019, 04:48 AM

Default Stinks like Grandma’s house....

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Enjoy!! Mine stunk like Grandma's house when I got it home and in an enclosed area. Finally, my nose won and I sold it. I wish you better luck.

Mine did too! I asked the FW people if there was a way to remove the odor, and they said they had a product that would work. It did!!!
Old 08-05-2019, 05:10 AM

I am told there are no odors to this one and the case is in excellent shape. It is suppose to be complete with the exception of one tool in the attachments, manual included too.
I am so sorry that was the case for you. I am hopeful that I will not have to many issues with it.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Enjoy!! Mine stunk like Grandma's house when I got it home and in an enclosed area. Finally, my nose won and I sold it. I wish you better luck.
Nova Montgomery teaches a class on FWs. Go to her website. She has a Tip of the Month that is excellent. I took her class and found out what was making the smell. It is easily "fixable," but I don't want to give away any of her expertise. She has been repairing FWs for a good number of years.

Congrats, Julia on your FW purchase. Makes a lovely stitch!
Old 08-06-2019, 05:29 AM

Congratulations, love mine
Old 08-06-2019, 05:35 AM

It is suppose to arrive today. Of course it is a rainy day today. I just hope it clears before the mail arrives. I most likely won't be home when it is delivered since I have an appt. DH will get it or the neighbor will get it for me. It won't be outdoors that is for sure! I can hardly wait. I just need to get my fingers on it and get it going. Just to excited. I must get mo OCD under control -.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:00 PM

Default My Featherweight arrived!!

Of course she is beautiful. A bit of wear but mostly noticeable. A bit of crackle, a very small area, toward the back side of the the machine in back of the throat plate. She has cleaned up nicely and I have her oiled but still not ready to go.
The cords need repaired. The cord going to the foot pedal is not even attached. It looks as though a mouse may have chewed a little on the cord. It is probably something I can fix. The cord is soft and pliable with no smell of burning rubber. I look at that as a good sign. I could probably shorten the cord by about 2" and reattach the wiring. There is also a small spot that has electrical tape on it.
I have not seen any unusual wear to the electrical from the underside of the machine. All the parts seem to be moving freely.
It does appear it should have a new belt and bobbin gasket. The belt has a lot of play to it.
The rubber feet on the bottom of the machine should be replaced as they are starting to fall apart some.

I also went on and dated the machine. I hope I got it right. The serial # is: AJ130271. So it reads to be made in 1949, one of 40,000 made and with a release date of March 15, 1949.

The case has a few scuff marks. But no smell of must or mildew.
So far I am very happy with this find. Once I can really begin to do some sewing with it I will be thrilled! hopefully by next week I should have things together.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:06 PM

Default Pictures

I forgot to post the Pictures! I guess I was so excited
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	featherweight1.jpg
Views:	729
Size:	915.2 KB
ID:	615773   Click image for larger version

Name:	featherweight2.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	878.0 KB
ID:	615774  
Old 08-06-2019, 01:30 PM

Beautiful machine. Enjoy every moment.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:41 PM

It is a beauty! Looks like it was loved over the years and well taken care of. Enjoy
Old 08-06-2019, 01:47 PM

Really beautiful, I relate to your excitement having been in your situation just a few weeks ago. Good luck on your repairs, I've been at it for a bit and it's really enjoyable and makes you love the machine even more because you brought it back to life IMHO.
In a nutshell enjoy 😊😊