Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you ever buy a machine without a dealer near? >

Would you ever buy a machine without a dealer near?

Would you ever buy a machine without a dealer near?

Old 10-29-2020, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Sailorwoman View Post
I have that exact machine and no dealer nearby. I now realize that it was a mistake. If a place is not an authorized dealer, Juki will not send them any parts to "ensure quality control" which means that you do have to have it repaired by a dealer. I had to ship mine 1300 miles. That adds a huge shipping cost plus additional time not being able to use it. While I was given information about the machine while I was first looking, there are always questions later on down the road. Furthermore, Juki is not known for its customer support. I like the machine, but I would never do it again.
I purchased a Juki Miyabi J-350QVP in January. Recently I was having trouble when the needle wouldn't stay in the up position when I used the side handwheel or needle up button to lift it. I phoned my dealer and he put in a call to Juki. The Juki service representative phoned me back within one hour. She told me how to fix the problem, stayed on the phone until I made sure the fix worked, then ended the call by giving me her direct phone number and email. She also gave me the email for their Service Dept. manager if I couldn't reach her. I would classify that as great service.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:53 AM

I bought my new Bernina from a Dealer locally, but..they were new to bernina....they had been selling janome for years....and my new machine had an issue....so.....I took it back in twice now.....their tech has been going to Bernina tech classes......so hopefully, he is learning more about maintaining Bernina's....they said they were surprised at how different the Bernina was from the Janome. Both are good machines but the Bernina has some unique engineering to it and apparently has the tightess specs on the moving parts...which gives it the precision it is known for...but also makes it harder to adjust. My old Viking tech told me that the vintage singers for the most part are a breeze to work on as you just have to be somewhat close to any adjustment that needs to be done and they will work...he said you did not need much precision....of course the vintage singers were not designed to do embroidery which really requires tight precision.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:22 AM

That is great service. I receive the same kind of service when I call the dealer but the service rep. that messaged me was so unhelpful I called the company to complain about her. That is something I rarely do.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:23 AM

That is great service. I receive the same kind of service when I call the dealer but the service rep. that messaged me was so unhelpful I called the company to complain about her. That is something I rarely do.
Old 10-31-2020, 08:26 PM

There is a reliable machine dealer that services all types of machines about 40 min. from me. My goal is to always buy a machine that the service folks can get parts. with some exceptions, most machines are made by a handful of manufacturers who make several different brands.