Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Frozen 201 Singer sewing machine? >

Frozen 201 Singer sewing machine?

Frozen 201 Singer sewing machine?

Old 11-27-2021, 11:52 PM

Right, a cable to go to the light, that makes perfect sense. I'm very much looking forward to learning what your mechanic finds out. Fingers crossed that it's something minor

One final thought, on a model 15 I worked on some time ago the feed dog lowering screw was completely frozen. I'm wondering whether if there's an issue with that mechanism, it might freeze the machine. To lower the feed dogs, one loosens the screw and flips down a lever. Yours looks like it has a fair bit of oil varnish on it. Does that mechanism move properly?
Old 11-27-2021, 11:57 PM

It was stuck in position at first but I was able to get it freed up after oiling it and letting it sit. It moves freely now. I appreciate your brain storming on this machine, thank you!
Old 11-28-2021, 12:28 AM

You're very welcome, this has been a fascinating problem. Can't wait to find out what your mechanic's diagnosis proves to be!
Old 11-29-2021, 11:45 AM

Success! The expert sewing machine repairman found the problem was in the bushings on the lower shaft. They were stuck with hardened oil, apparently a previous owner used the wrong oil! He cleaned the bushings, and had it running beautifully before he left. It now has a perfect stitch.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0305.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	636609  
Old 11-29-2021, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Christine- View Post
Success! The expert sewing machine repairman found the problem was in the bushings on the lower shaft. They were stuck with hardened oil, apparently a previous owner used the wrong oil! He cleaned the bushings, and had it running beautifully before he left. It now has a perfect stitch.
Congrats!!!! Thanks for sharing this. I'll make sure I check those when I start on my stuck 15-91.
bkay
Old 11-29-2021, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
Congrats!!!! Thanks for sharing this. ..bkay
What she said. I'm glad you came back an posted what it was and that it now sewing.

This is a very good sewing machine. Have you seen https://sewalot.com/singer_201k_sewalot.htm ?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 11-29-2021, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
What she said. I'm glad you came back an posted what it was and that it now sewing.

This is a very good sewing machine. Have you seen https://sewalot.com/singer_201k_sewalot.htm ?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
No I haven't seen that page. Thank you for sharing it, very interesting page.
Old 11-29-2021, 11:35 PM

Congratulations! Delighted to hear that you now have this machine is working again as it should! Thank you for posting the results.