Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Changing Techniques or steps when making a quilt >

Changing Techniques or steps when making a quilt

Changing Techniques or steps when making a quilt

Old 01-06-2023, 03:42 AM

My machine has a cut thread feature. When I go to start a seam, I just check to see if the thread end is under the pressure foot before I start sewing. If it isn't, it will sure enough come out of the needle. If it is under the pressure foot, the fabric and pressure foot hold it in place to start sewing. I also take the first couple of stitches slow to give it a second to set into the fabric.
Old 01-06-2023, 04:03 AM

What I worked out with my first post.

When I put the blocks/rows together with a sashing (Quilt As You Go) Instead of doing the usual 2" folded in-half for one side and 1" on the other. (I usually put the folded on the front side) I found that if I cut the sashing to be 1 3/4" and fold it in half for the front, and 1" on the back of the quilt. (I put them together the regular way (in joining the blocks/rows - sewing the two sashing strips on then attaching the next block or row).

I use quarter inch seams except for sewing down the folded side. I sew the folded side down with a scant 1/8" right on the edge of the folded side, and it ends up in exactly in the same place on the back (1" inch) side - right inside the sashing a scant 1/8". The sashing looks exactly the same size front and back with the showing seam exactly the same on both sides - fully on the sashing and not on the quilt block.

The blocks/rows meet together with no gaps between them and the sashing lays completely flat with no bunching on one side or the other when sewing down the folded side to finish because they match on both sides of the quilt.
Old 01-06-2023, 07:43 AM
DJ

I developed my own technique for paper piecing but haven't been successful in teaching it to anyone else. It's kind of complicated to learn and involves a lot of manual dexterity. LOL But it works for me.

I have my own preferred way to make half square triangles, so I use that method no matter what the pattern directions say.
Old 01-06-2023, 10:12 AM

All. The. Time.
Old 01-06-2023, 10:38 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
Most recently I learned how to knot my thread by the needle so the thread doesn't pull out of the needle. Then wonder after all these years I had never thought or heard of doing it that way.
OMG!!! I feel stupid now. When I change threads in my machines, I have been knotting it at the top and then pulling through, but it doesn't make it through the needle. If I do it your way, I won't have to struggle with threading the needle. It should work for the serger too! @quiltingcandy you are genius in my book!

P.S. I got a "D" in Home Ec for the sewing unit. I was much better at unsewing than sewing!