Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kids prefer fuzzy blankets >

Kids prefer fuzzy blankets

Kids prefer fuzzy blankets

Old 10-03-2023, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

I think some quilts are not used because the adult in charge is afraid they will get ruined.

And let's face it, blankets or fleece throws are generally cheaper, warmer and easier to launder than quilts. This is a very crazy hobby that we have.
Old 10-03-2023, 11:17 AM

I don't make quilts as a surprise gift for someone with the exception of baby play mats for a new baby. I prefer to make quilts I like then let them choose if they want a quilt. Nothing wrong with asking if they would like a quilt and accepting when they say, No. I would rather have a No, than a closet quilt.
Old 10-03-2023, 12:21 PM

I agree with making them first and then letting folks pick what they want. I was getting a quilt build-up, then all of a sudden four quilts went out the door just like that, then a neighbor who I had asked before if he wanted a quilt who turned it down, requested on. But, surprise, I didn't have one that met his specs having just given one that would away! He wanted one big enough for a full sized spread. I haven't been making quilts long enough to be tucked in and for a pillow tuck.. I like to make them for of a comforter size without the pillow tuck.
Old 10-03-2023, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I think some quilts are not used because the adult in charge is afraid they will get ruined.

And let's face it, blankets or fleece throws are generally cheaper, warmer and easier to launder than quilts. This is a very crazy hobby that we have.
That's a good possibility. My mom wouldn't let me use the quilt my grandmother made me. My mom said that it was too small to be used as a bed spread (didn't come to the floor) and so she never let me use it on my bed. My grandmother did beautiful work and all by hand. I have that quilt now and do use it. I wish I'd gotten to use it as child.
Old 10-03-2023, 01:34 PM

I have to admit my favorite blanky is a brown plaid microfiber throw I bought at Walmart a few years back in the after Christmas leftovers. It is both light enough and heavy enough and washes easily. It is also long and wide enough that I can tuck it under my feet and it still goes over my shoulders. I do also have quilts on the bed but for an under-$10 purchase, my brown plaid blanky was a super bargain!

I am still making donation projects and special occasion quilts when we have the few special occasions among friends and family . I do prefer groups that allow people to select their own items -- one person could be very happy with one of my quilts and think another is the ugliest thing they've ever seen. I do have a target audience in mind of older foster kids and for households such as abuse shelters which is good because I prefer working in twin to queen sized projects. In giving to such causes, I can't have a huge amount of attachment to my projects. Some people will appreciate them more than others, and sometimes in the rush of leaving a place, some things are left behind especially when heavy or not easily stuffed into a backpack. I try to get some fun out of each project and hope/think that if the recipient gets just 15 minutes of joy or just the acknowledgement that they exist, my time has been well spent.
Old 10-03-2023, 02:21 PM

My kids were teens and young adults when I started quilting.
They insisted they had no interest in my quilts; they prefer to snuggle with a fleece blanket.
But somehow, when they’re sick, they always ask me for a quilt. It’s like they can feel the love in the stitches, and it heals them. Can’t get that from a fleecy from Walmart!
And married daughter LOVES the baby quilt I made for her first born. For now they use it as a wall hanging, which is just fine with me.
Old 10-03-2023, 06:38 PM

Kids and lap quilts get fleece on the back (with no batting) if it’s donation.
I make 2 or 3 a year to keep in my “quilt vault” for myself and I use cotton backing and batting on those.
Old 10-04-2023, 01:03 AM

I'm so sorry you are experiencing this. It is hurtful when you put so much effort, time, and money into a project, then see it sitting in a closet. I am in the, if they don't ask for it, I don't make it boat. I made one of my grandsons a baby blanket, to this day I'm pretty sure Mom has no idea where it is, or if she even still has it, she didn't ask me to make it, I took it upon myself to make it, lesson learned. It was a crib size to grow in to a toddler bed, 2.5 inch squares, lots of work and love. I have just recently made a full, and a twin for two of my grandkids, for their new bedrooms for when they move into their new home. These were requested. Otherwise, no one in my family has a quilt I have made, and no one has asked for one. I still find plenty of projects to make and to enjoy my hobby, but they are donated to places where I too feel the recipient will appreciate them.
Old 10-04-2023, 03:20 AM

When I gave a quilt to anyone, child or adult, it comes with a direction to USE IT. Do not put it on the wall, in a closet or a cedar chest or save it for later because it is precious. I remind the "giftee" that the more it is used the softer it will get and I made it to warm and snuggle them. I count it a compliment that most of the folks are just worried that something will happen to my creative effort and don't want anything to happen to the piece. Depending on the "giftee", I will actually offer a "lifetime guarantee" (my lifetime ) for repair or replacement. Just use it! I love seeing my quilts all wadded up on the bed, recliner or crib with fading colors and soft with use and love.

Now after all of that babbling.... it is only my opinion and perspective. Tee-Hee-Hee
Old 10-04-2023, 03:25 AM

I make quilts for charity, who knows where they end up. With my family if they don't ask for a quilt I don't make them one. My grandkids like the fluffy soft Walmart blankets. They do wash and dry quickly and they are soft. I do not make table runners, toppers, pot holders and tote bags unless someone specifically asks for it. I enjoy my quilting group and we make charity quilts for various organizations. We never know if they are loved and being used, but we know they aren't sitting in a closet waiting to pull out when grandma comes to visit.