Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kids prefer fuzzy blankets >

Kids prefer fuzzy blankets

Kids prefer fuzzy blankets

Old 10-03-2023, 06:09 AM

Default Kids prefer fuzzy blankets

Have been quilting for about 40 years. Have made quilts for kids and grandkids. Some of them have small to medium stacks. Many quilts, as you know, have a small fortune in fabric, thread, batting and backing. None of them are using any of these quilts. They all have fuzzy blankets to snuggle up with. All of them. No one is using even the table runners I spent time making just for them. Quilts folded up, put in a closet somewhere. I think I need to reassess who I give my quilts to.
Old 10-03-2023, 06:47 AM

I've been thinking about this lately. I'm a new quilter and have made three quilts for my family which we use and love. Now making 2 quilts for nieces aged 10-ish, which I'll give at christmas. They didn't ask for them. I'm sure they have snuggly blankets they like more. So why am I doing it? Selfish reasons I think, I want them to have something from me that lasts and they might treasure later. It's better than buying them some cheap plastic toy that gets thrown out in a year. Also, I think their mom will be impressed. But I want to let go of any illusion that the kids will love and prefer them to the fuzzies. I'm enjoying making them and if the kids really like them that will just be a bonus. In the future who konws? I might not make more quilts for family unless specifically requested.
Oh. Edit...I did make the backing out of flannel in hopes the quilts will be a little snugglier.

Last edited by pamelor; 10-03-2023 at 06:52 AM.
Old 10-03-2023, 07:19 AM

How about quilts out of Minky fabric? Those would be snuggly.
Old 10-03-2023, 07:21 AM

You definitely do need to reassess. If the people you are giving quilts to don't appreciate them, do you want to bother making them another? I've made bags for people who could barely take time to open the gift and probably didn't use it so why bother. I'd rather keep them than give them to someone who doesn't appreciate them.
Old 10-03-2023, 07:36 AM

My grandson is upset with his friends that use fleece blankets. Told them that they need a real blanket. He asked that I make them quilts to use. Love that boy 🥰
Old 10-03-2023, 07:39 AM

That is so disheartening - I'm sorry you've had that experience. :-( I've not made all that many quilts but have been fortunate in having most of them appreciated, at least for the first little while. All of my baby quilts have been I Spy quilts (rather busy ones because I want them to grow with the child) and I enjoy sharing some game prompts with the recipients (or gifters if I'm making for a friend who's anticipating a grandchild, for example). I have also been known to refer to them as "activity mats" to show that I'm hoping they will be used/worn out rather than treated like museum pieces. :-)

One of the first gift-worthy quilts I made was for my grandmother for her 95th birthday. When she died, none of the family in the old country seemed to want the quilt and it was sent back to me. I was grateful - it is draped over a chair in my bedroom and is a reminder of the relationship we had, even though we lived far apart.

I do have to wonder whether the recipients of your quilts truly understand how much love, money and effort goes into making a single quilt. Perhaps your generosity has spoiled them. :-(

Old 10-03-2023, 08:07 AM

Well, I think I spy quilts for the little ones are usually well received. I usually just pick a pattern and then go through my scraps and pick out all the "I spy" fabrics. Yep, even forks, spoons, barns, blueberries, even just colors. The other thing that seems to have been well received and used is flannel throw quilts and yep, everyone wants a queen- or king-sized flannel quilt for the winter. These are the quilts I see used continuously. I don't particularly like minky or polar fleece quilts as they seem to me to be somewhat "slimy" feeling when being used. Too me, flannel quilts are much cuddlier and warmer.
Old 10-03-2023, 08:18 AM

Yup. This is why I have not made quilts for one set of grandkids. They have many fleece blankets and told me quilts made them 'cold'. Maybe when they are older.
Old 10-03-2023, 09:23 AM

I used to by polar fleece and make warm throws from those. I too love my cat print warm soft cuddly blanket! So I know why kids do too!
Old 10-03-2023, 10:22 AM

I prefer to give my quilts to the less fortunate such as women in shelters and Project Linus...they all seem to be the ones that appreciate them. My grandkids and my oldest son do use their quilts. At least I've seen photo's of them using the quilts on their beds. The middle son uses his wildlife throw on his recliner.
Quilting is a very expensive hobby to have. Until someone has to go out and buy all the needed supplies they have no idea what it cost or the process to make a completed quilt. I suggest finding an organization to donate to. You'd be surprised how it makes you feel. I'll never stop giving to these needy organizations...if not quilts them pillow cases made from the left over yardage.