Old 10-05-2023, 09:41 AM

What is my reason to quilt.
Something to do with my time.
Something to do with my brain.
‘Something to do with my creativity.

This is lonely. And pointless.

so what do I want from quilting?
Old 10-05-2023, 11:57 AM

Wow, petthefabric, you have asked the existential question! We are alive. Might as well do what brings us joy, to the extent time and resources allow. But if part of the joy comes from feeling like we're contributing to someone else's life in a positive way... Where to find that? Project Linus or similar projects sound perfect and much more satisfying than giving to those who don't want or need the item. I love this idea!
Old 10-07-2023, 05:37 AM

Maybe it's just this age we live in. I learned to sew in 8th grade in the '70s, sewing was huge then and everyone was doing it. Giving or receiving a gift, making your own wedding gown, prom dress, outfit for your child's school picture or school dance, was almost revered - you were considered AMAZING if you could sew, even something so small as up a hem or sew on a button so it stays attached.

I've seen the sewing and cross stitch hobby and accessibility to fabrics and products almost cease to exist - very few brick and mortar cross stitch shops and good quality fabric stores. Now we have the 'convenience' of the internet, always a wonder if you will get something great or just ok.

What if you make smaller quilts for people who lived in those days, like nursing home or assisted living residents? Some are there alone, some whose families don't visit often. Maybe a quilt or a shawl or a handmade stuffed animal or doll would cheer them up, and bring back some memories when their lives were full and involved. I bet they would love that.
Actually, I know they would.
Old 10-07-2023, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

Good thoughts and ideas from Butterfli19!

Reminded me of a LQS seasonal quilt block challenge, from fabric kits, purchased at minimal cost. Viewers' Choice judging during a Shop Hop with great prizes. The best part was that the blocks were then made into runners/toppers for a local care home.

No reason why individuals could not do the same on their own. Just be sure to check with the facility first, to ensure they are willing recipients and to find out any specs before you start stitching.
Old 10-08-2023, 07:13 AM

I hear you on the fact that the quilt is not always received well by the person it is given to. Putting all questions about design and personal preference aside, I have this philosophy about quilts that are given away:

* They will find the home they are meant to be in. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but some day!*

I think we release quilts into the world like dandelion seeds, to float to wherever they will find root.

I bought a quilt, probably 80+ years old, that was culled from a collection due to moth damage. I have not repaired the moth damage on this old wool-based "camp quilt". It is part of its character. I love the old thing and keep it where I can see it. It is where it needs to be : )
Old 10-09-2023, 04:39 AM

I've been thinking about this thread since it started. Which is why forums and conversations are nice. At FB people talk at you not to you and it is pretty useless to try to have a conversation, it is a very clunky platform for that.

Expectations: What someone does with my gifts is none of my business. Give freely or not at all. Resentments have no part in my current mindset, and I'm much healthier for it.

Yesterday it crossed my mind to wonder what my reaction would be if Anyone gave me a gift worth two hundred dollars or more and took months to make. I think I'd be briefly amazed and honored, but then I'd feel obligated, very obligated and not comfortable, even burdened owning it.. At this stage of my life there is no one I'd gift that kind of valuable gift to, we do charitable giving instead and plenty of it.

WE know quilts are meant to be used and loved, but I can understand why they would be put away and saved for good. Particularly if someone told me what it cost and how long it took to make.
And based on a lifetime of observation, what isn't used in the home isn't wanted from the estate. No memories associated with it.

And I understand about soft. I love my quilts on my bed, change them out every month so I can see them all. But on the couch? I have two quilts within reach, but I use a $6.00 yoga blanket. On the bed if I'm just having some quiet time tapping or reading? I use my bed runners which are double sided with no batting. Very soft.

And some of that heavy/stiff feeling is probably do to the state of the art. Quality high thread count fabrics, highly processed batting, more quilting than generally done by hand? I have a couple of queen quilts (double sided) made with recycled shirts, batting without scrim....sooofffftttt

Thank you team, for provoking some pondering this week Feel free to argue my points!
Old 10-09-2023, 07:05 AM

I agree with Kplumbridge to use the fleece blankets for backs that you can pick up for around $10 at Walmarts, etc. Then you have the best of two worlds - a soft feeling back and a quilted top which hopefully they will appreciate.
Old 11-10-2023, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by kplumbridge View Post
I just use those plush soft snuggly blankets that everyone loves for the backs of my quilts and everybody loves them. You can sometimes get ones up to 120 inches square at Costco for the same or less than what you would pay for cotton fabric for a quilt back. I can quilt them on my long arm machine - I just make sure not to stretch them.
Do you add batting or only use the blanket and quilt top quilted together?

If you do use batting, may I ask which type of batting you prefer? Cotton, cotton/poly, bamboo, etc?
Old 11-10-2023, 09:17 PM
Power Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kplumbridge View Post
I just use those plush soft snuggly blankets that everyone loves for the backs of my quilts and everybody loves them. You can sometimes get ones up to 120 inches square at Costco for the same or less than what you would pay for cotton fabric for a quilt back. I can quilt them on my long arm machine - I just make sure not to stretch them.

I have heard of this but on my one try it became a big mess. Can you give any tips on how to do it. I assume the fleece replaces both the batting and back else it would not make much sense.
Old 11-11-2023, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
I have heard of this but on my one try it became a big mess. Can you give any tips on how to do it. I assume the fleece replaces both the batting and back else it would not make much sense.
I've done it both ways -- without any batting, and also with a layer of thin batting. Both came out fine. The one w/o batting was very flexible and scrunchable. Only thing to watch for when quilting with the fleece backing is not to stretch it. I have a longarm --- never tried using fleece when quilting on a regular domestic machine.