Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Slotted ruler >

Slotted ruler

Slotted ruler

Old 04-13-2024, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by pamelor View Post
Hello all, I'm looking at slotted rulers to help with cutting straight strips. Do you use this? If so are there brands you would recommend, or any ones you stay away from? Thank you for any advice.
--Pam
I gave mine away.
Old 04-13-2024, 08:01 PM

Thank you all for replies! Sounds like there is nothing terrible about June Taylor. I bought one today 12X12 and used it all evening. I think it paid for itself already as this evening's entertainment! And I think it'll get used much, really sped up the process. I did have to hold it down firmly and double check my results, but I do that with free rulers anyway.
Old 04-14-2024, 01:28 AM

Love the June Tailor ruler!! I use it with the Quilter's Cut 'n Press II plus the 45 size rotary cutter.

There is a plastic film or dots that can be placed on the wrong side of the ruler. Then it will not move on the fabric.

Accuquilt has various sizes in strip dies; i just do not have a dedicated space (yet) for the electric machine.
Old 04-14-2024, 03:18 AM

Many years ago, I tried the June Taylor one, and did not like it at all. The plastic strips between cuts wobbled as I rolled the rotary cutter down the slots, causing incorrect cutting.

For the last 5 years or so, I've used the Stripology, put out by Creative Grids. Love it so much that I got rid of my space hog Accuquilt Go! as I rarely used it. I have the original, now called the XL. GE Designs (Gudrun Erla) has many YouTube videos on its use for shapes other than strips.
Old 04-14-2024, 06:23 AM

I already managed to lose track of which line I was on even AFTER reading Quiltingcandy's post, duh! I made the mistake and laughed because after reading your post I had thought to myself, " I'll never do that!". 10 minutes later I did it.
Sewing pup -- appreciate the note about not putting too much pressure on one side of the slits and best size of cutter.
Peace and joy -- I think this is what you were referring to, the strips moving. They do, but after one episode of this I know to hold them firmly and problem solved. Thanks again everybody for information.
Old 04-20-2024, 02:41 AM

I have the June Taylor ones two. Both sizes and love them.
Old 04-20-2024, 04:37 AM

I have the June Taylor. I would not recommend it. It's too flimsy. I no longer use it.

Of course, I bought mine years ago, so they may have improved it.

bkay
Old 04-20-2024, 08:22 AM

I've used the Martelli and the Stripology. There's one marvelous thing about the Martelli -- it will not budge while you're cutting. This quality is offset by the fact that there is too much play in the slots and the cuts aren't accurate. I have trouble keeping the Stripology in place, even with the Guidelines 4 Quilting sticky strips on the bottom. So no satisfaction for me thus far, with slotted rulers.
Old 04-20-2024, 09:18 AM

To prevent rulers from slipping, add narrow short strips of anti-slip floor tape to the backs of your rulers. The rough surface keeps the rulers in place and solves the problem at very little cost. You can find it at any WalMart, home improvement, or hardware store.