Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gutermann thread? >

Gutermann thread?

Gutermann thread?

Old 04-16-2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by PJisChaos
Originally Posted by jpthequilter
Does that "varegated" have metallic in it?
I would worry about the future lifetime of the quilt,
(because the metallic might not be as strong and long lasting as 100% cotton) vs the beauty!
sorry, not much help...
I had to look again as ya raised an interesting question. But, no, there is no metallic in this thread. It goes from dirt-brown to a creamish-tan color and back. Has some dirty yellow and some other colors that are in-between. The pic is rather blurry but, that is all due to my killer photo skills. ;-) Or lack of, I should say.
It should be just fine! The paper circle on top of the spool should tell you what the thread is made of. Sometimes there is a number that tells the diameter of the thread usually on thread made in the USA, and if you match the bobbin thread number to it it should sew nicely, regardless of the color.
Why I was asking, is because thread is made of twisted thiner threads, and in metallic looking thread, one of the thinner threads is really a thin strip of metallic looking foil.
and the foil is not very strong. Those threads are wonderfull for decorative stitching, and thread painting.
They have found bits of six thousand year old fabric made of and stitched with cotton in archaeological digs, so you see that 100% cotton thread does last! LOL
Old 04-16-2011, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by PJisChaos
Ok, going way outside my box here and trying a new thread. Usually I just buy the C&C machine quilting spools at Wal-Mart but went over to Hancocks today to buy a bunch of $.99 FQs and seen this 100% cotton variagated thread on sale 1/2 off. I am gonna use it in the top shown as I think it will blend well. Soo, I have a few questions..
1) Can I use my normal quilting thread for the bobbins?
2) What is everyones experience with this brand? Any problems I should be aware of?
I use variagated thread quite often. Gutterman is a good brand.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:09 PM

I've used Gutermann exclusively for everything....even have the color you photographed! I've pieced with it - FMQ'd with it using DSM- and satin stitched appliques...and used it with both top thead & bottom tread. Never problem one.

Now others have said Gutermann doesn't work with their machine....I have 2 Brothers - and a vintage Singer machine and never a problem.....
Old 04-16-2011, 02:59 PM

Thanks 19angel52, I also have Brother dsm's and was wondering if they have a history of problems with this thread like other brands have. Now if I could just figure out a border/no border I could actually get to using this new thread. Oh bother! LoL
Old 04-16-2011, 07:47 PM

I like that thread I use it a lot.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:33 AM

Have always bought gutterman. Just switched to connecting threads. Will be sending all my other threads to Haiti with a missionary friend. Love the CT threads. Now for my answer. Use what's on top for bobbin,BUT test on a sandwich first. Your machine may sqeal. Ask me how I know?
If it does squawk, do not use top and bottom. Maybe a finer thread in bobbin is necessary. Did that help? Pegeth
Old 04-18-2011, 01:33 AM

Since we are talking thread what is the best thread to use for embroidery patterns? The ones I am using at the moment keeps breaking since they are all I have. I do have rayon but they are expensive here and I can't afford to use them for practicing the patterns to see how they come out before using them on my good fabric.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Annya
Since we are talking thread what is the best thread to use for embroidery patterns? The ones I am using at the moment keeps breaking since they are all I have. I do have rayon but they are expensive here and I can't afford to use them for practicing the patterns to see how they come out before using them on my good fabric.
Good question...! I only have an inexpensive Brothers' emboidery machine - and since the manual said use only rayon, I waited for sales at Joanns to buy the thread. Sure does use up the thread, doesn't it?!?!

I use Sulky rayon and have never had thread breakage. Don't know what you use - but you might want to give Sulky a try - and Joanns has it on sale on a somewhat regular basis at 40% off....or use their monthly flyer 40% coupon. Hopefully you have a Joanns close by!
Old 04-18-2011, 07:52 PM

Thank you 19angel52. I use different brand of rayon cotton also Threadart and Rasant cottons now but they are a little more expensive than I used to buy.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Annya
Thank you 19angel52. I use different brand of rayon cotton also Threadart and Rasant cottons now but they are a little more expensive than I used to buy.
Oh I hear you..! Once my Gutterman's stash slowly dwindles, I'm going to try the big spools of thread sold thru Connecting Threads...word has it that it's fabulous thread.... and inexpensive. I'm kind of snobby when it comes to thread - I use cotton and very rarely rayon.