Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question on these fancy computerized machines >

Question on these fancy computerized machines

Question on these fancy computerized machines

Old 08-07-2011, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by klc
Congrats on your new Horizon. I love mine! As for precautions I take (other than the surge protector), I unplug my machine during lightening storms. Do not use magnets near your machine. I was also told not to use canned air to clean out my machine (it is hard on the computer). As for any other things to do, just keep her clean of dust bunnies, use caution and gently clean as the auto thread cutter and other parts can get messed up. Go to classes and learn all you can about using your machine. Enjoy! They really are a wonderful machine.
Good advice.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Greenheron
I don't use any electronic equipment or anything connected to plumbing during a storm. Surge protectors are not 100% reliable. Unplug your machine. :thumbup:
And your computer, cell phone charger, blue tooth charger, and any and all electronics, (VCR, DVD player, blue ray player, etc.)
Old 08-11-2011, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
If you have a local radio shack visit them for a high end surge protector. I paid $79 eahc for several about 3 years ago and it covers upto $50,000 towards damaged products. About a year later we have a bad surge. Lightning even rattled our windows and such. Protector on meter saved a/c and major things but surge still fried the flat screen and dvd. I had to send the power strip back for inspection but then was told I could replace with same TV, DVR and sent in receipts for repayment. In the lightning state you can't get enough help.
I purchased a quality surge protector when I got my first home computer. My son advised unplugging during a storm AND if the power goes out for any reason because when the electric is restored there may also be a surge. The power company here advises the same. I 'smarted off' saying there was a guarantee from the surge protector company in case it failed. He calmly asked me how many phone calls I wanted to make and how many months was I willing to wait for a replacement.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Greenheron
Originally Posted by Zhillslady
If you have a local radio shack visit them for a high end surge protector. I paid $79 eahc for several about 3 years ago and it covers upto $50,000 towards damaged products. About a year later we have a bad surge. Lightning even rattled our windows and such. Protector on meter saved a/c and major things but surge still fried the flat screen and dvd. I had to send the power strip back for inspection but then was told I could replace with same TV, DVR and sent in receipts for repayment. In the lightning state you can't get enough help.
I purchased a quality surge protector when I got my first home computer. My son advised unplugging during a storm AND if the power goes out for any reason because when the electric is restored there may also be a surge. The power company here advises the same. I 'smarted off' saying there was a guarantee from the surge protector company in case it failed. He calmly asked me how many phone calls I wanted to make and how many months was I willing to wait for a replacement.
Good point! :thumbup: