Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why Do You....(dare I say it)...QUILT? >

Why Do You....(dare I say it)...QUILT?

Why Do You....(dare I say it)...QUILT?

Old 10-27-2011, 04:37 AM

I love flowers and color, but I don't have a green thumb, all my flower beds are in my house. LOL
Old 10-27-2011, 04:47 AM

I enjoy creating a quilt! The finished product is so fulfilling and rewarding.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:47 AM

Love this question. Reading the responses will be fascinating. I began sewing when I was about 10. By high school, I rarely wore anything I hadn't made myself, won a couple of local contests and found I really loved the process of sewing. Fast forward about 20 years (and lots of crafting) and I discovered quilting. I love the actual process of working with fabric and I love the creative flow of making a new quilt. I rarely use patterns, although I'm not a snob about it, and I sometimes just trash a project if it's no longer making me happy. As you point out, we don't have to make quilts. Why invest hours of time in something you're not enjoying anymore? Some of this isn't responsive, but this was a great topic to sound off on.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:00 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Because my doggone friend Karen took me into a quilt shop! As I wandered wide-eyed through the aisles of gorgeous fabrics, the likes of which I never saw at you-know-where, she whispered in my ear,"Wanna buy some fabric, little girl?" 8-) It's true, I swear. And I swore I wasn't going to quilt. Just make a few of those cute pillowcases. Oh, and maybe just a rag quilt from that flannel for my new nephew. You all know the rest of THAT story! :lol:

But deep down, I think it's about leaving something behind that I can be proud of. My garden will rapidly go wild and weedy, the cards I make will get tossed, but hopefully any quilts I make will outlast me, and maybe even more than one generation. It's nice to think that fifty or a hundred years from now, someone might just wonder about that hands that made the quilt that gives them warmth and comfort.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by barny
It's the artistic creativity coming out of our fingers and brain. No one else has the same thoughts and abilities. It is so wonderful! God is good.
AMEN!
Old 10-27-2011, 05:12 AM

Like so many others, quilting is my therapy and creative expression. When I am at my floor frame, hand quilting, I find a deep sense of peace and work through many thoughts and feelings. When I leave it for the day, I am physically tired, but emotionally uplifted. The rest of the process of construction of a quilt, from beginning to end, is where I get my creative outlet. I love to dream, and then see those dreams work out into a quilt. In my mind, no other craft gives me a as much satisfaction as quilting!!
Old 10-27-2011, 05:15 AM

Is it for the love of the craft?

The ability to create what will hopefully be a piece of your family history?

The joy it brings you?

Artistic expression?

So, Why Do You Quilt?

ALL OF THE ABOVE! It's also a wonderful way for me to let each person in my family know that I truly love them.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:19 AM

So, WHY do you quilt?

Is it for the love of the craft?

The ability to create what will hopefully be a piece of your family history?

The joy it brings you?

Artistic expression?

So, Why Do You Quilt?

ALL OF THE ABOVE. What better way to tell each person in your family that you love them, and friends also, and those people who need love even if it isn't from a family member.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by mmonohon
Obsessed with fabric.
here, here....

<clears throat> Hello, My Name Is Kim and I'm a Recovering Stash-aholic.....
I have to tell every one.......there is no cure and we never reach RECOVERY........Once bitten and we are all push-overs........the love we all have cannot be removed, only shared in some way. It is why we get up in the morning, It drives us as creativity comes in the bite also. There is an unsatisfiable "Itch or Itchie-ness" that goes with that bite. There is no cure......we are all hopelssly covered with Quilt pox.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:38 AM
Banned

all of the above..