Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome? Viking? Pfaff? Bernina? >

Janome? Viking? Pfaff? Bernina?

Janome? Viking? Pfaff? Bernina?

Old 10-29-2011, 10:22 AM

I had a Janome 6600 and it is a great machine. I now have a viking Saphire 875 and I prefer it, because the presser foot automatically raises when you stop sewing, if it is in needle down position, this makes pivoting effortless. The are all very good machines and I am sure you would be pleased with any one of them.
Michelle
Old 10-29-2011, 10:24 AM

I'm a Janoome fan. More machine for the money. I have the 6500 and the Platinum 720. Haven't had any trouble with either.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:55 AM

I love my babylock embroidery & sewing machine.
The long window down the right side is so much larger
than most, it can do so much and can be update downloaded free on computer from baby. Plus I have a dealer,
always there to help, show me what I am doing or not.
They also have many classes to take, even Diva days,
plus bus trip once a year to buy material and QUILT SHOW.
sewing machines are great but a person to help you ad show you what you can do the best whatever machine you have. It has so many add on's 13 feet, walking foor,
touch screens, etc. One more brother and babylock are under the same company, bother under babylock.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:12 AM

I have a Janome 6600P and love it. I also have a Janome 760 to take to class and retreats. Love it too. Good luck on making your choice.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:14 AM

What are you sewing? My next machine will be a juki industrial dual walking foot so I can sew the things I want to sew.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:18 AM

I love my janome. You need to look at who makes the parts, service issues. I also have a designer 1 (old) I have no need for a larger embroidery machine because I have commercial machines. If i ever got another hobby machine it would be the new Janome, it is awsome.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:20 AM

You can purchase the best machine in the world and it COULD turn out to be a lemon.....Then, you need a good dealer to recognize the problem and DO something about it. My new Janome was repaired 5 times before I insisted on a new machine. The new machine is wonderful. While going through the mess of repairs, I also purchased a new Brother that had a problem in the first week. Not only did the dealer fix it on the spot, but reported the problem to Brother. Brother send a NEW machine, even tho the original had been repaired. They did not want to disappoint a new customer. CUSTOMER SERVICE IS VERY IMPORTANT, particularly with computerized machines.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:43 AM

Posted on 10-14-2011

I spotted this on one of the other sites I subscribe to - just a reference for you.

FOR SALE --Viking Designer 1
Complete with original feet, hoops, manuals
and Video Users Guide - excellent condition.
Serviced September 2011 - $650.00 plus shipping.

Contact Margaret - [email protected]

-----------------------------------------------------------
Old 10-29-2011, 12:24 PM

I've had them all, except the Pfaff. First, I don't think you will get a machine of the same quality as your 20 year old one. No matter what you buy. They just don't make them that way any more.
My current favorite machine ( and I've had many favorites ) is a Bernina 820. I have an old Janome dedicated embroidery machine to make my labels, so wasn't interested in the 830. I traded in 3 machines (and it was still too expensive ) but damn, it is good. The new machines have so many conveniences that make sewing easier. Bernina gives excellent instruction classes and work books. . . at least my dealer does.
Get the best you can afford and try them all. Good luck.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by kaykid815
I have a Viking that is 20 years old. It generally does a pretty good job (unless it's in the shop for repairs). Am looking at a new purchase. I'm leaning toward a Janome 6600, but also considering Vikings again. Have looked at Pfaffs and Berninas-- they all are a step up from my old machine and any of them would be a treat. I would really appreciate input from the experts (you).
Janome's are great machines. I have the Horizon and I've used the 6600 a lot. Great machines.