Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How many chances do you give a LA before saying no more? >
  • How many chances do you give a LA before saying no more?

• How many chances do you give a LA before saying no more?

Old 02-12-2013, 07:06 AM
    Power Poster

I am giving the quilt to my cousin for her birthday who doesn't know the difference about quilt thread or batting. And yes I got my batting and thread back.
    Old 02-12-2013, 07:19 AM

I do some quilting for the public and one of my customers sent cranberry colored serging thread and I used my cranberry quilting thread and gave the serging thread back to her.
    Old 02-12-2013, 07:58 AM

I would have been done on the second go round. I quilt for people and give them what they ask for, cotton batting , thread color etc. If I can't do what they want, I tell them right up front.
    Old 02-12-2013, 08:04 AM

Sounds like a facebook moment to me. Don't be nasty, just state the facts and let people know how disappointed you were when your requirements, which you paid for, were ignored. If you hired a painter to paint the room yellow, you wouldn't accept it being red, would you?
    Old 02-12-2013, 08:15 AM

I second what all the rest have said. She should have had a take in form for you that would discuss the specifics of what was to be done and if any variation on that, a phone call or visit by you to discuss it PRIOR to the variation being done. I would definitely find someone else. When you do, explain to them what has happened to you already and go over what you are expecting from them. I would also ask them to see if you could contact a couple of their customers to ask their opinions of her/his work. If they do a good job, there shouldn't be any problems with that.
    Old 02-12-2013, 08:22 AM

I am a LA'er and I would not have a business if I treated my customers like that. I may encourage the client to change there mind about something and warn them if I think they are making a mistake but it is up to them. If they bring there own batting I don't care but I am picky about thread and can usually talk the out of their thread because as she told you machines have a mind of there own and some threads don't run well on all machines.
    Old 02-12-2013, 08:22 AM

I would have changed after the 2nd time. Unfortunately, it seems that some LA'ers are one trick ponies and a lot of them get into "business" without learning how to run a business with good customer service. LA'ing is definitely a customer service based business.

I learned how to LA for myself, first by renting and then being able to buy a machine, but I try different techniques, threads, and battings. I still am interested in only quilting for myself, but do appreciate people like Charisma and the mother-daughter team who work I saw and they live somewhere in Central Nevada (I believe). One of my quilt teachers used them before she started her LA business.
    Old 02-12-2013, 08:31 AM

Frankly, I'm surprised this LA has any business at all, if she's this cavalier with her customer's stated desires. People who can't deliver custom jobs shouldn't be in a custom business. Why did she not explain this in the beginning to you so you could take your business elsewhere, before she quilted two quilts not to your satisfaction?

People continue to amaze me.
    Old 02-12-2013, 08:35 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

BellaBoo: Three strikes you are out .. WOW!! Customer service is foremost in keeping your business going no matter what business it is. You are certainly more patient than I would of been .. Good Luck in your endeavor to find a new LA'er
    Old 02-12-2013, 08:45 AM

You're much nicer than I am. I would have popped my cork the first time. What part of you're paying her to do what you want is she not understanding? No more chances for her!!!!