Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Pounce >

Quilt Pounce

Quilt Pounce

Old 02-26-2010, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by kkbrand
Yes I did almost cry, I told my husband I was going to throw the quilt away if I did not get it out, but good old spray and wash and a scrub brush and it came out.

Have you ever heard of Quilt Marking Spray? I wonder if anyone has used it. It's called Marking Magic and can be purchased at Quilting Creations International
I used it last week. Found it very messy with overspray. Maybe if one used something around the area for protection from the overspray. It did mark though the stencil lines OK. And it washed out very easily.
Cynthia
Old 02-26-2010, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by kkbrand
Do you own the quilt pounce and does it work well? Is it worth the investment?
I used the pounce last week with stencils. It looked fine until I started quilting on my longarm. After some frustration with disappearing lines, I found that after using the pounce to mark the stencil, and then, before quilting, going over the lines with a washable marker to make them stay, did help. This worked the best and I finished the quilt with this double marking method.
Cynthia
Old 02-26-2010, 02:19 PM

If you have stencils the pounce thing works. First you load it, so tap it a few times so that the chalk comes out. You slide it over the template-Don't pounce! To help it stay on, you can spray it with hair spray.

The chalk and hairspray will wash out.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:26 PM

I haven't used the blue markers for quilting but i did for embroidery and they would wash out and come back-several times. It was frustrating. for quilting i either FM or mark it with a chalk pencil as mentioned. the air soluble ones stay longer if there is no humidity.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:29 PM

What brand do you use? Do some wash off better than others??? :D
Old 02-26-2010, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by tisha
What brand do you use? Do some wash off better than others??? :D
I have used Dritz Mark B Gone and another blue one(no name) with similar results. They wash out easily with water (use distilled-it's safer) either spritzed or in the wash. I like these markers. You can see the line except on dark fabrics. For dark fabrics, I use Stabilo washable markers. I bought some from Dick Blick art supplies at a very reasonable price. There are several colors. I have only used white. White washed out easily. I want to try other colors as an experiment.
Cynthia
Old 02-26-2010, 06:43 PM

I don't have the chalk pouncer. I use a foam brush and it works fine. I only use the Miracle Chalk because it's the only one that will not bounce off when I'm quilting. I am really allergic to the chalk and have to use a mask when I use it. I have also used school board chalk too for marking but have never had the courage to use anything but white. I've read such horror stories that I'm not willing to take the chance.
Also for you quilters that use the air erase marking pencils or the blue marker that comes out with water, take extreme care with that. If the quilt is not washed/rinsed following the quilting to remove all traces ( you may not see them because you've spritzed with water) it is possible to have the marked areas to develop brownish stains on the quilt. This happened with a client quilt I did. Due to some personal issues she had this quilt wasn't brought out to bind for 8 or 10 mos..not sure if it was still in a plastic bag or not or if it was exposed to heat or sunlight but I tell you it was one mess of stains. Such a tragic thing to have happened. It could have been avoided had it been washed/rinsed right away. I would never take that chance. I know a lot of quilters say they've not had problems and I'd call them really really lucky.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:55 PM

Did you try using rubbing alcohol to get the marks off? Try it on some fabric scraps first, but it might do the trick.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:25 PM
cjc

For larger patterns I like the Clover Pen-Style Chaco Liners & Refills. They make a fine line and the white or yellow show up well on darker fabrics. I haven't tried the blue for lighter colors, I use a a fabric mechanical pencil. I tried a graphite pencil but it went dull too fast and had to continually sharpen it.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by AnnaF
Also for you quilters that use the air erase marking pencils or the blue marker that comes out with water, take extreme care with that. If the quilt is not washed/rinsed following the quilting to remove all traces ( you may not see them because you've spritzed with water) it is possible to have the marked areas to develop brownish stains on the quilt.
Anne, I think you are quite right. I almost always just rinse my quilts in cold water after quilting and then dry them. i've never had a problem. I've heard (can't say for sure though) that if you are using spray starch on your tops as you piece and then sponging off the blue marks, that the blue is not really soaking into the batting and that is what causes the stains later on. I have a hunch this may be correct, as that is what it feels like to me. But I give a good cold water rinse, spin the quilt out and dry it just to be sure. That has been very successful for me for about 15 years or more (maybe 20, now that I think about it! time really flies!)