American Food

Old 08-09-2010, 07:45 AM

While touring the UK, I fell in love with your Pasties. Little meat and vegetable pies oozing with gravy. My Grandmother was born in St Asaph. I miss her Yorkshire pudding served along with holiday roast beef.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:46 AM

I once read that Twinkies have so many preservatives they could "live" a thousand years and still be edible! I love them but don't get them very often...last one I had was about 10 years ago.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:57 AM
JS

I have a celtic backround and enjoy going to the highland games here in the states. One vendor who is at all the games in my area is a Welsh baker. He has the very best cookies I have ever tasted and so say my friends. Too bad he charges a hefty price should you want to order from him even though he too lives in the states. Always looked forward to stopping by and buying some cookies when I was at the games.That was when I lived in Pa. now I live in Florida and have not been to games if any are in this area. Sure do miss them. The games and the cookies. Especially at holiday time.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:06 AM

Have not been to England but went to Scotland two years ago. (and Ireland)

I never saw so many flavors of 'crisps'. We have only potato chips, barbecue flavored potato chips, and sour cream with onion potato chips. West coast may have additional flavors.

Every meal that we had in Scotland and Ireland was great. Yes, one of my sons can drive on the left side of the road. We even got the understanding of the 'lay-by' on the country lanes.

But I digress, the food was good.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:12 AM

Lisanne,

Last week my grandson requested my apple pie for his groom cake at their September wedding.

When all five kids were home I thought nothing of making 2 or 3 pies in one day. Add forty years and it is a lot of work!

Of course I will make him an apple pie.

Quilter68/69 (aka Kathleen)
Old 08-09-2010, 11:20 AM

Right here in Ohio we have a blend of Mexican, Chinese, seafood. Alot of BBQing and we sort of steal from all over.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Feathers
I once read that Twinkies have so many preservatives they could "live" a thousand years and still be edible! I love them but don't get them very often...last one I had was about 10 years ago.
not true. it's an urban myth. their advertised max shelf life is 26 days. i doubt seriously they'd taste the same on day 26 as they did on day 1.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Lyn

Originally Posted by welshgem
I find some american food fascinating!
Its so different to food in the UK and i dont even know what some of it is, such as twinkys etc.

Does anyone else have this with food from other countries?

Also what is your local areas speciality food?

Being from Wales in the UK,some of our traditional welsh foods would be welsh cakes & cawl :)

Okay, I visited my daughter going to grad school in the UK. What is with mushy peas? They are not that bad but why would you mash perfectly good peas? My daughter's British friends just laugh at me.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:01 PM
Administrator

that's an easy one. mushed peas don't roll off the fork. ;-)

p.s. i don't mush mine. the only exercise i get is from chasing them around the plate. :lol:
Old 08-09-2010, 01:55 PM

Poutine was invented in Drummondville,Qc.Personnaly I dislike it, French Fries with white cheese curds and a brown sauce. It is becoming very stylish , a couple of restaurants grabbed the recipe of one our best chefs that use foie gras, I just read in the newspaper, that a chain of American restaurant is adding poutine to their menu.