Home made sanitary pads

Old 08-13-2010, 06:10 PM

Yes, my grandmother made me one when I visited and my friend came unexpectedly, this was in the early 60s.. She folded up a square of old cotton sheeting and gave me two large safety pins. She said this is what they did when she was a girl (she was born in 1888) They put them in a bucket in the outhouse in cold water and washed them. Heaven knows what happened when they froze! Must have put the bucket on the black iron stove to melt them enough to wash. It was very smooth and comfortable as I remember and I wore it to the store to get some Kotex(rough and uncomfortable) Thanks for the memory. PS--threw it away in the rubbish wrapped in a grocery bag to dispose.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:29 PM

I worked with a couple of older Greek ladies from the old country and they said they used folded rags and washed them out and placed them on the roof of an out building out of sight to dry and bleach out. And a neighbor lady, when I was a kid used flannel, washed them out and hung them between the sheets on the clothsline to dry.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:48 PM

I remember my Mom (God rest her soul) telling me about "glad rags" (when I complained about KOTEX pads and the discomfort)....and with her being the youngest girl, having the responsibility of washing them for her & 4 sisters. They were hung in the little room off the kitchen...God Forbid they hung "those" outside! (Glad rags---not that they ever "did anything" prior to marriage, but they were "glad when IT came"...therefore--glad rags----and, when you were married, and prayed you were NOT pregnant). Isn't life funny???
Old 08-13-2010, 06:56 PM

May I throw an entirely different spin on this and suggest extended cycle birth control? One period every 3 months or never, your choice. Completely safe and FDA approved. Then no one has to deal with the "mama cloths". Just thought I'd add some fuel to the flame. :)
Old 08-13-2010, 09:12 PM

Yep, that's another option but to play the devil's advocate I must comment that no drug is ever completely safe and while it may have FDA approval this year what about next year or the year after. I just googled drugs recalled by FDA over the last 30 years and I was reminded of all the patients I've had over the years that were on drugs like vioxx, bextra, baycol, propulsid, seldane, accutane...the list goes on and on. Never mind the drugs that now have black box warnings. Medication taken soley for convenience sake rather than for a specific need is a dicey proposition. As usual, JMHO.
Originally Posted by johnette
May I throw an entirely different spin on this and suggest extended cycle birth control? One period every 3 months or never, your choice. Completely safe and FDA approved. Then no one has to deal with the "mama cloths". Just thought I'd add some fuel to the flame. :)
Old 08-13-2010, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
Originally Posted by PatriceJ
if nobody else is going to say it ... i will.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuwwwwwwwwwwww !!!!!!!!! :shock:

ok. got it out of my system.

back to you, terri. :lol:
I thought the same thing at first, though I never used them is it any different then someone blowing their nose in a hankie and having to wash that????? Or skid marks in hubby's undies?????? And I ask WHY do lots of guys not know how to wipe their butt??????????? :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Too funny, I was thinking exactly the same thing...those skid marks.....UGHhhh....AND just think of all the money you can save to use for buying more fabric :D :thumbup:
Old 08-14-2010, 12:17 AM

OK, Ladies I have read all the comments and laughed at about half of them, but I GOTTA ask, what stops it from coming through?
Old 08-14-2010, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by johnette
Yeah, I'd probably worry every month if I didn't have that proof that I'm not pregnant. So not ready to be a mamma yet.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:13 AM

I have a Mirena IUCD, and I don't have to worry about periods, except maybe once a year. I have used the cup, and it was not too bad, and I used Rad Pads for a while. My periods were always pretty light(1-2 days, so I never worried too much. Pure cotton tampons - at least they will biodegrade eventually.
Just to continue on the gross theme - I know someone who cleans the sewerage farm, he dives in the holding tanks, twenty to thirty feet deep of sh#t, and I asked him what was the worst thing about his job. He smiled and said - Chew your corn!
Old 08-14-2010, 04:14 AM

OKAY!!! I say we change the subject and get back to quilts.
I say that these types of things are left to the privacy of your own home etc. a big TMI