Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do? >

What do you do?

What do you do?

Old 10-28-2010, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by qwltnfool
This happens to me with more regularity that I'd like. I have found that cleaning my sewing room helps. (all FQs put away, dust gone, scrap basket crammed so it isn't spilling out - the whole nine yards) I put each project into it's own zippered bag (the kind sheets come in or Ziploc) and stacked neatly in the closet. Then I take one out and do it. This process clears my mind more than anything and allows me to proceed in a less pressured way. Just by doing the first one, even if I trash my sewing room along the way, gets me on a roll and things get done. Just my way of doing it!
I totally need to pull out the ziploc bags and sort the fabric for my next few projects. I think that will do a lot to reduce the stack on my table.

Cheers, K
Old 10-28-2010, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bev
Originally Posted by sewTinker
I look forward to the responses to this. It is a "quilting skill" I continuously strive to master.

I've put all projects (fabric, pattern, & recipient's name) into project envelopes and labeled them; then, on my dry-erase board, I have a list of the projects in the order I want to do them.

That does help. But not entirely. I can start feeling a real Pressure and I lose my sense of priority.
I have done all the same things you've done. But it helps very little. Each day I go into my quilting room and look at that list and become overwhelmed all over again. And by the way, this list began long before the addition of Christmas gifts. I don't know how to cope with it. Sometimes I just take a baby step or two. Then, just today my DDIL sent me a picture of a pattern she'd like me to make her as her birthday present. Her birthday is Nov. 11th. Oh Lord !!! I need divine help!
Here is your divine help..LOL! Pick a color. Any color. Now work on something that is that color. Pick another color. Work on something that color. Sometimes we see so many trees, we can't 'see' the woods anymore. When you have to cut all the trees in the woods down, break it into smaller jobs. Learn to say NO. We get so bogged down on making everyone happy, to the point that we make ourselves miserable. If losing love for not getting it done, is your fear, just remember, we all love each other here, and none of us get everything done everyday. You are among friends. {HUGS} P.S. Tell beautiful DDIL yes, only if she is not picky about which birthday. I have a feeling she will understand if you tell her why. {LOVIES}
Old 10-28-2010, 07:05 PM

cleaning up my sewing room helps me. Instead of having all of those projects staring at me, I make a list of what I need to finish. not as overwhelming. I quilt every day so I plan what I am going to do that day. I am currently working on a king size quilt and my goal is to piece two blocks in the morning and two at night.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:44 PM

When I really need to get something from my UFO pile(s) finished, I tell my best quilting buddy and she'll regularly ask me how's IT going and keep me on track. I do the same for her.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:51 PM

Just put them away and look at them with new eyes when you have finished the work that is waiting for you. I think many of us have the same problem. Don' feel guilty :)
Old 10-28-2010, 08:33 PM

I find that the hardest part is just getting away from the computer. Once I tear myself away I go into the sewing room and just set a goal for myself to sew for 15 minutes. I usually find that once I get started I keep on sewing for much longer than that. Most of the time I get to a point where I want to get a certain number of blocks or rows completed before I quit or maybe get the layers sandwiched together or quilted or the binding sewn on. If I find that I am making too many mistakes or that I am too distracted by other people or things that need my attention I just cut my sewing session short until I can get back into the groove. Right now I am working on way too many projects that have deadlines so I had to prioritize them by due dates rather than by the degree I like each of them. For me sewing/quiltmaking has been therapeutic and recreational and a great way to feel good about myself and to keep myself creative and productive while I've been unemployed the past year. It's a wonderful sense of accomplishment for me when a project is completed and a source of great joy when I can give a quilt to someone who is delighted to receive it so that motivates me quite a bit too. Now if I could only find a way to love housework... :)
Old 10-28-2010, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by kriscraft99
This is always my problem (and not just with sewing)... there is so much housework, yard work, bills to pay, grocery shopping, etc.

I end up being busy all day long and not getting anything completed, which at the end of the day is frustrating and carries on to the next day and so on....

I need to dedicate all of my energy to one until it is finished, then move to the next. If I were you.. I would do the one that needs to be completed first, then move to the next... If they are all due at the same time, start with the quickest and get it done, mark it off of your list, wa-la.. your list is shorter :)

Now... if only I could take my own advice, rather just give it
I like this idea for projects that have a due date on them. On the many, many projects we just want to do I like the idea suggested earlier of putting them in a jar and drawing one out.

That way we could add to all the time and the ones we draw would be an assortment of quick projects and longer projects. :thumbup: Otherwise I would never ever get to the longer projects. :hunf:
Old 10-28-2010, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by SuziC
Okay i need to know if this happens to you too.....I have bought way too much fabric lately without any reason and have tooo many projects looking at me. I need to finish three baby quilts, make my Christmas gifts (5) and my granddaughters want new PJ's. Twice now i have looked at my sewing table and just walked away thinking "i can't get this all done" It's like there is a wall up and i don't know what to work on first. I have started all the projects but am at a standstill. How do you all overcome this???? I am wasting time!
I have this problem all the time and it's too over whelming so you just do nothing. My husband ask's me "How do you eat an elephant?" and the answer is "one bite at a time" So I've needed to clean a small room I'm wanting to use as my sewing room and I just kept looking at it and doing nothing about. Well last week I decided to start eating that elephant because no one else will. It took me all week last week to do it (just a few hours here and there) but now it is done and I feel a sense of accomplishment. I actually cut some material yesterday for hot pads I'm making for a craft show. Boy did that feel good. It's not to say all days will be like this......but just one bite at a time.
Becky
Old 10-29-2010, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by SuziC
Okay i need to know if this happens to you too.....I have bought way too much fabric lately without any reason and have tooo many projects looking at me. I need to finish three baby quilts, make my Christmas gifts (5) and my granddaughters want new PJ's. Twice now i have looked at my sewing table and just walked away thinking "i can't get this all done" It's like there is a wall up and i don't know what to work on first. I have started all the projects but am at a standstill. How do you all overcome this???? I am wasting time!
I am in the same boat right now. I have two quilts started and need to make 4 sets of table runners/placemats and also some casserole hot mits. I am also cross stitching an afghan for my daughter and I have two rooms I am trying to redecorate since my daughter and grandson moved out.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:39 AM

I have to admit it's really easy for me to get in the same shape. I like only having one project next to my sewing machine at a time (sewing room), one hand project for watching TV with hubby/traveling (Den), and there's always a top on the longarm (sewing room)...but that's it. Any more and I get overwhelmed. I don't want to look a pile of UFO's or see a 'list' everyday...I did that for 30 years (work)!

So - I put all other projects w/any pieces into a closet, each in a box/bag. I don't make a list, just a pile. A list makes me feel pressured - and this is a fun hobby, not work! I don't want to see the pile either, as it can add to the pressure. This way, I'm working only on one sewing project at a time, and I never think or commit to the next one until I'm ready to sew the borders onto the top of the current one! This keeps me thinking about current project and not overwhelmed with the 'list'. And when i get to the point on the current one where I allow myself to think about the next project, it keeps the new one fresh for me, and I get excited about it all over again! That is really why I don't even shop/gather all the complete project pieces until the border is ready for the current one. I don't do 'kits' either - takes part of the fun away for me. It's nice, and fun, when I get to shop/think/research/dream about the next upcoming one! Keeps me interested, not overwhelmed or over-obligated.

And I don't let people pressure me - ever! That's just not right.

This is just what works for me :)
Debbie in Austin