Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think I have a problem >

I think I have a problem

I think I have a problem

Old 11-05-2010, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

Geez Luise - working all day with a hefty commute AND a family, I'm surprised you have any free time. Don't beat yourself up - quilting is a journey, not a destination.

Besides, you have to have time to play with us on the board, and that counts as a creative outlet. Don't worry, fabric is patient and the inspiration will come when your mind is relaxed and your heart is free.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:45 AM

It sounds to me like you have a full day to begin with and just maybe this isn't the time to start something new. As for tearing things out, I have found that it is best for me if I tear it out and press it, and then walk away from it till the next time I am in the sewing room. This is of course if it is a big tear out. Maybe you could get an hour or so during the weekend. Good luck and don't give up, okay, we all go thru stuff that keeps us from getting in the sewing room. Jan
Old 11-05-2010, 09:46 AM

you have gotten some great advice and I am going to try to outline it for you!!

1. Give yourself a break. As women, we don't know how to take care of ourselves and I think you are in that mode right now. No one can take care of you but YOU!

2. Get a checkup -- you might need Iron or Vitamin D or B12 or something.

3. Take a step backwards. Start making a charity baby quilt or lap quilt (Project Linus comes to mind) with a four-patch or a nine patch. Making something for someone you don't know is good for them and good for you!! I have done this a lot!!

Hang in there and take your vitamins!!

Pat in Atlanta
Old 11-05-2010, 09:51 AM

You are proably being too hard on yourself! Try sewing a charity quilt either for children or for Quilts of Valor(injured servicepeople). They are not critical if the corners or points are not exact, and you won't have to unsew anything! Choose a simple pattern--there are so many easy project out there. But most of all, RELAX and ENJOY your time in the sewing room.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by cbridges22
Originally Posted by KathyAire
You might have the same problem that I have. I have intentions of working on some quilting project. But, I have to just take a quick peek at this forum to see if there is anything that I am missing. Two hours later, my quilting time is gone and I'm still peeking.
Boy can I relate to that!
ME TOO
Old 11-05-2010, 10:00 AM

I could never sew during the week while I worked. I had to dedicate one weekend day for sewing like a maniac.
You just need some time with another quilter to get your momentum moving.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:20 AM

My plan this winter is to make as many quilts, wall hangings, table toppers etc. as I can. I get bored also when I get a top done and then get to the hand quilting part. Takes so long to finish. Like you, I have a job and when I get home I am tired. I did bring one top to work with me to quilt on my lunch hours. This way at least one will get all done by summer. Mabey I will have enough money to get some sent out to be machine quilted by summer also.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:34 AM

Every once in awhile, I burn out and just have to step away for awhile. That said, I usually have 3 projects going in different stages, one on the frame, one being pieced, and another being hand appliqued. None have a deadline. That way, I tend to work on one for a few minutes here and there whenever the mood strikes. Quilting is supposed to be my therapy so I try not to stress over it.

My husband laughs at me on "housework" day because I'll vacuum the rug and then go sew for a little bit, clean a toilet, and then sew for a bit. Next thing I know, the day is over and LOTs got done without thinking about it. Relax, let go of the stress.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:43 AM

You know, there's no craft police keeping track of what you make.....or finish.I don't know how anyone working full time can find free time for anything.
Both our DDs work full time & have a son at home.They work all day then start their 2 nd job.There are meals to cook, homework to supervise,house to clean,laundry to do, kids to run to school activities & the list goes on & on.That leaves about 10mins for themselves before bedtime.Then the next day, you do it all over again.
There aren't enough hours in the wk, so if you can find time to do something you enjoy, you're ahead of the game.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:57 AM

I think you should just go SIT with all your fabric and just BE ! Touch it, smell it! Some times I just go in my room, turn on the T.V. and look thru quilting magazines. It clears my mind and I get to look @ beautiful quilts. Sometimes it is just hard to get started... Relax! Life does get in the way of our FUN sometimes!