Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do we give quilts? >

Why do we give quilts?

Why do we give quilts?

Old 12-01-2010, 05:50 PM

I have no expectations once I give away a quilt. When I give anything away, I'm totally prepared to let go both mentally and physically. Life is way too short to have worries or regrets about stuff over which I have no control.

It is thrilling to know the receiver of a quilt I've made likes it; to my knowledge, all the quilts I've given are loved & used & not badly abused.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:22 PM

A couple of years ago, I hand embordried my older dgds each a set of dish towels. They were a lot of work & my dh asked what I was going to do if they used them to dry the dog, mop the floor or whatever, I replied that I had made them with love and gave them with love and I didn't care what they did with them. The same with the quilts, I make & give them with love, hoping they will be enjoyed. I would rather have them used than "put on display"
Old 12-01-2010, 06:29 PM

I think you have to think about the recipient to avoid natural disappointment. I made a quilt as a gift for a teenager that is highly prized. I was intending to make one for another girl.Then her grandmother (wisely) said her DIL would think it was tacky no matter how lovely, and stick it in a closet. That girl gets a check.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:31 PM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

I give quilts as a piece of my heart.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:36 PM

I hope that when I give a quilt it'll be used and loved, I love it when I go to my DD house or my parents or in-laws to see the quilts I made for them on the beds or one of the grandkids wrapped up in one wathing T.V

However recently I was at a second hand store and seen a quilt an older friend had made(it was hand peiced and hand quilted)for her great-granddaughter-in-law for her new baby there forsale,I picked it up and they wanted $4 for it,I bought it and I now treasure it, I have not told my friend about it because I didn't want her hurt.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Conniequilts
Over the last several months I have seen many people complain that their quilts don't get used and complain that their quilts do get used.

Are we supposed to give directions with the quilts when we give them?

Something like: if you aren't going to use this quilt please return it OR if you are going to use this quilt please return it.

I, personally, am elated when my quilts get used. I don't even get upset when I am told there is an "owie" on the quilt. I just say, "bring it back, I'll fix it". If it's beyond repair (as I know one heading my way is) then it's time to make a new one.

Just curious: why do you give your quilts and what are your expectations of use?
I give them away because I love making them for my family and friends who love them even if they do not say so in as many words.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:15 PM

man's(and woman's)best friends get quilts too. And as I've said before,there is one in the car to protect the seat from the car seat. It was once a picnic/snack time blankie. Too small now but now it goes where he goes.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
I want my quilt to be used, loved and appreciated. I know once I give it away, I should have no say about how it is used or not used. However as quilters we all get a little hurt if our treasured quilts that we have worked so hard on get ill treated.
Well said.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:41 PM

So far, I have only made 2 quilts to give away, both to my children, and I made them to be used! I woul be saddened if I go to visit and do not see the quilts in use. I raised practical children, so I know they will use what I labored long with love to make for them.

i also made a quilted table runner as a gift for a friend, given with love for her birthday, but I knew she has quilted and would appreciate the love and time that went into that one-of-a-kind gift!

I know I will not make something for anyone who would not value my work and investment!
Old 12-01-2010, 07:47 PM

Welcome to the board, Peggy! Giving quilts is what we do.