Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
WOW!  In shock. >

WOW! In shock.

WOW! In shock.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Glenda Kay
Wow! Didn't know Eleanor Burns had fabric. Thanks! Now that I've learned from this site what people have to pay in other countries & feel less guilty for stocking up. Wouldn't be able to afford my favorite hobby/obsession at those prices.
Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
I just ordered some from http://www.eleanorburns.com/shoponline/fabricsale.asp - the prices start at $3.00.
If I'm not mistaken, I think Eleanor Burns has her own fabric line - that's why her quilts have that "Oldie - Worldy" look about them. It is a distinctive look that I always equate with the Mid - Western States.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:13 PM

The rise in prices might just bring back the original quilt versions - reusing what we have or can glean. I love quilting but have never quite gotten over cutting up perfectly good fabric. Maybe that's why my fav's are scrap quilts.....
Old 12-03-2010, 05:34 PM

Here in Texas we had a bumper cotton crop. Cotton was at $1.59 per pound. That is at least twice what cotton brought last year. But the cotton crop in other countries and other states wasn't so good.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by QazyQltr
Darn keyboard ... meant to say CAN'T afford to quilt
As long as there are yard sales and thrift stores, and friends cleaning out their closets, we will be able to afford to quilt.
We will just have to be a lot more creative, and a little less picky to get 'er done! <wave>
Old 12-03-2010, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S
The prices at JoAnn's has gotten more ( alot more) than I think the quality warrents.
Might I say, quality of the fabric PLUS customer service - or the lack there of - in many locations.

From a friend who was an employee at one of JoAnn's stores they had to deal with supervisors who encouraged poor service because of below minimal staffing!
Old 12-03-2010, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by drgranny
Here in Texas we had a bumper cotton crop. Cotton was at $1.59 per pound. That is at least twice what cotton brought last year. But the cotton crop in other countries and other states wasn't so good.
Agree....India's crop was devestated by weather related challenges. Saw a news item of the effects of draught in one area in India.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by QuilterGary
As for the cost of fabric not only has cotton gone up the price of deisel has gone up. When gas goes up people get mad but you can use (in some cases) public transportation or you can choose not to travel as much. When the price of deisel goes up and no one says much. But everyone buys deisel everything that moves uses trucks or tractors you have no choice but to buy deisel.
Farmers are not getting the increase for growing cotton.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:11 PM

Why not?they raise the price of gasoline that is already in their pumps.

Originally Posted by garysgal
The lady who owns the quilt shop in town here said it is illegal for them to raise the prices on fabric that they already have. How come JoAnn gets away with this?
Old 12-03-2010, 06:38 PM

Our JoAnnes still has a lot of 2.00 and 3.99 fabrics as well as what they call Quilters Cotton, which is much more. However, it just doesn't look and feel like better quality fabric. I bought a lot of jumbo rick rack at a LQS for $1.49 per yd. I didn't get enough and the LQS was closed so I ran to JoAnnes and they had it in bulk, same size for $1.99 per yard but the quality wasn't as soft or as rich looking. I was surprised. Our JoAnnes is well staffed and the employees are really helpful and knowledgeable. We are very lucky. But, we are in So Cal where there is a lot of competition.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by jitkaau
If I'm not mistaken, I think Eleanor Burns has her own fabric line - that's why her quilts have that "Oldie - Worldy" look about them. It is a distinctive look that I always equate with the Mid - Western States.
The only stuff I got from her was marbled stuff...blenders, as I have a ton of prints. The arrived today. Looks a lot like Moda Marbles and has the same hand, so that works for me!