Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lighting >

Lighting

Lighting

Old 12-29-2010, 11:15 PM

I used a shop light fixture with full-spectrum light bulbs. This provides the true color lights without a major cost. You will be able to choose between daylight and noon light. Select daylight if the fixture is close to your work and noon light if more than 4 feet away. These lights also help with seasonal affective disorder, if you happen to suffer from that.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:54 AM

I love having the center ceiling fan (a must for me) with multiple light outlets and CFL bulbs and an Ott task lamp wherever I am working. Oh...and be careful not to judge the quality of lighting until the bulbs have been on a few minutes. They get better.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:03 AM
Jim

LED lights are great...we use them in the overhead lights in our quilting room and they are bright and last a LONG time..they are pricey right now but as time goes on they will come down in cost..they will be replacing the CFL's with mercury in them
Old 12-30-2010, 02:46 AM
QM
Power Poster

Whatever you do, remember that as you age you will need more lighting, so keep it flexible, if possible. In my machine area, I have 2 large LED spot lights, with an OTT light I can shift into position when I need an extra light. Besides being very energy efficient, the LEDs are cool lights. They don't heat up the area. DH is planning to add more LEDs over my stash area. Unlike many, I don't, however, care what it looks like, I only care what it does for ME. Previous to the LEDs, I had shop lighting, which I liked also.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
I am so glad I found this topic! Should have found it earlier as I was trying to sew navy blue fabric with a small desk lamp and the non-existent light on my sewing machine. I can't use flourescent as they give me migraines. I wear no-line bi-focal glasses, too, so that is another issue. I was looking at the Ott lights but never could bring myself to spend the money so I'm glad to know that I might be able to buy the knock-off at Big Lots. I have to have a bright white light to really see well. I'm thinking about getting a floor lamp (knockoff Ott) so it doesn't take up a lot of room on my sewing cabinet. My overhead light is a ceiling fan with 3 lights and I put in the highest wattage it calls for. I then have 2 other lamps in my little tiny sewing room/office and still can't see well so hate to go in there in late afternoon or night. Luckily, there is a large window that lets in good light during the day...if the sun is shining, that is!
I too was shocked at the high price of Ott Lites. But many years ago, I bit the bullet and bought my desk lamp w/ heavy base. I've not been unhappy with it at all, in fact I love it. I still am using the original bulb and that lamp is at least 8 years old. The lamp is used just about everyday and sometimes for 6 hours straight.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:51 AM

The question was ask if LED light was true color. I have 2 LED lights in my sewing room and they give me the same color match has my Ott-Lite does. The LED lights are a pure white light and much brighter than any other light I have.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:18 AM

where did you get your lights??

Originally Posted by pflum1
The question was ask if LED light was true color. I have 2 LED lights in my sewing room and they give me the same color match has my Ott-Lite does. The LED lights are a pure white light and much brighter than any other light I have.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Connie Merritt
I am curious as to WHY we will have to buy the halogen bulbs. Is this supposed to save energy? Sooooooo we turn on the light and the light get HOT, then we turn on the fan to cool us because the light is HOT. We will not have a choice of what light bulb we prefer to use to save WHAT. Does anyone notice the "circle around the bush (no not George). Sometimes I think the creators of these idiotic ideas stay awake nights and think of ways to make life here more difficult AND expensive. Also, the halogen bulbs do not last the so called 5 years and are TOO expensive.

Okay I'm off my soap box for now. I just wish someone could would explain to me the logical, money saving, energy saving reasons AND tell the truth in advertising.

Wishing Everyone a New Year of Blessings, Good Health, closure to problems, love and of course peace. Gosh I love this quilting community. Thank you for being with me at my coffee cache.
Connie, if you are referring to the change in Ott lights, they are moving to LED bulbs, not halogen. We have converted to LED in our kitchen and the difference is amazing- pure colors, they do not get hot, they cost virtually nothing to run, have no mercury like the compact fluorescents, and last for years. You are right about the halogen, they DO NOT last very long at all! The only downside to LED is the initial cost, but they are coming down in price- our Home Depot now carries them. The cost is quickly made up by the energy savings! They do come in two colors, cool and warm, the warm is more like the regular light bulbs, the cool has a distinct blue tinge.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:50 AM

Location: From WI then Denver then Houston and now Hainesville, IL

Originally Posted by Alice T
I have not tried the Ott lights but would like to know what others think of them. I have an overhead ceiling fan with 4 lights and two floor lamps with positionable lights that I can move around to hit different areas in my sewing area.
I love my Ott light lamps - I have the floor lamp by my chair in front room for use while watching tv and table lamp in sewing studio that I can point to machine or chair while doing hand work...
My husband installed ceiling fan with lights and that is perfect for general room light since I also have natural light coming in through two large double windows in my room also. I had track lighting in my old sewing room, and they worked great also-
My hubby is electrician, so I BETTER NOT have any lighting issues!!!

:lol: :lol:
Old 12-30-2010, 10:43 AM

I just do not like the Halogens lights. I use the lights from the ceiling fan in the room, my machine, and I keep a swing arm light from JoAnns next to my sewing table.