Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gutermann thread? >

Gutermann thread?

Gutermann thread?

Old 04-19-2011, 02:58 AM

Gutterman cotton 50wt is my thread of choice, for bobbin and top stitching. Your quilt top looks great, good luck.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:22 PM

I've just discovered my Singer 401 perfers Guterman thread. This came as a huge surprise to me, since Coats and Clark was the only thead my brand mother had available in rual Arkansas during the 50s. Hancocks had C&C on sales, so i bought server spools. As soon as I started using it the thread would break every 5 or 6 in. When I went back to the gutterman, the thread stopped breaking. This leads me to believe that C&C has changed the quality of thread since the good old days. I will save the C&C for hand sewing.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:21 PM

Thumbs up **Update**

Ok, so I finally managed to get this quilt done. Yay! But I always forget to take a good full pic of it so this will have to do. Don't mind DD, Ms. Jenna, there, she doesn't like surprise pics. LOL! It now rests on the back of my couch for snuggling under, unless DGS runs off with it (which he seems to do often!) and it quilted up beautifully, using this thread. I enjoyed using this thread so much, it was like a running a hot knife thru butter, that's how smooth the process went. I would def. suggest it to anyone to use. I quilted this one by following the lines of colored squares across their diagonal so the lines go this way for a spell and then that way for a spell. It really did turn out rather good, and has been named "Perfectly Imperfect" as it just seemed to fit the process it underwent. Thanks for all the good info and advice yuns gave me, ya'll are swell!!
Attached Thumbnails 016.jpg  
Old 01-31-2012, 12:13 AM
Power Poster

Perfectly beautiful....I like Gutermann thread and their handquilting thread is also very good.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:07 AM

I'm a Gutterman Girl, never had any problems, get it on sale at JoAnns, most important of all, my Janome likes it.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:41 AM

Add me to the rest of the "I like Gutterman thread" and "your quilt is beautiful" crew!! I have had no problems with Gutterman in my machine (a Viking), but then again, it appears the only thread my machine dislikes is Coats and Clark.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:43 AM

Your quilt is lovely! I use and like Guermann (and many other brands too). I have to agree with MAD QUILTER - that specific machine that you use may not like it.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:52 AM

I really like the thread, have used it many times. Try using it on a sample to see how your machine sews with it before trying it on your quilt. Your quilt top is beautiful.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:01 AM

Your quilt is gorgeous, so much work. I use Gutterman or 100% cotton Sulky for the top, CC in the bobbin.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:00 AM

lovely quilt. also love gutermann thread, i get the 5000 meter spools, prefer it for piecing.
absolutely love variegated thread too, but save it for quilting.
katz