Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can someone tell me >

Can someone tell me

Can someone tell me

Old 05-18-2011, 02:21 PM

I put a spool of sulky or some other 'thin' style spool onto the post and then put the larger bottomed spool over it ... I've been doing this with Connecting threads large spools and others.

It works for me.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:25 PM

Do you have the horizontal spool holder? My machines allow me to slide the spool onto a long spindle and put a spool cap on the spindle...works great.

I sometimes will put a thread net on these, then put them in a cup, then pull the thread up to and through a standing guide. You can also use the cone holder...just need the thread net.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Joy Higdon
how to use the large spools of Essential thread on my sewing machine? My thread holder is for smaller spools and the large one jumps off. I know it is a dumb question but I would like to know since I have purchased several spools.

Thanks for your help.
These are not the cones. I have a cone holder but these are the Connecting Thread Essentials. They are 2 1/2 inches tall with a larger hole than regular spools.
You can still use the cone thread stand for the smaller spools, I do this with my Featherweight.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:30 PM

I put mine in a large coffee cup behind my machine and thread it up into the machine. Works great.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by fidgety
i found this on ebay to give you and idea of how easy these are to make.
I made one like that, wooden block and a metal coat hanger..works good to. :thumbup:
Old 05-18-2011, 04:23 PM

I had that problem and I solved it by making a thread holder. I took an old coffee cup, a little round wooden wheel (like you get in the craft bags at Walmart) and part of a wooden pencil (probably three inches, or so). I glued the pencil in the hole of the little round wooden wheel, then glued the wheel to the bottom of the cup. Used hot glue gun and just let it dry thoroughly. The Essentials thread fits down on it perfectly. I also took a regular paper clip and taped it onto the top of my machine directly above the cup. I run the thread through the paper clip and then just thread my machine as usual. Works for me.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:23 PM

Look for the little wooden rounds that you can put inside the larger thread holes. They work perfect. Sometimes the quilting stores have them.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:26 PM

You can make these inserts from a dowel by meauring the width inside you spool and then drill a hole inside the dowel that will fit on the machine.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:38 PM

My brother built his own foundry to create some jewelry pieces so I sent him a picture of the cone holder with the flowers and asked him to come up with something similar and this is what he created. I just love my tree. and it works just fine. My nephew brought it to me from Louisiana and on the trip my tree lost a leaf. He said that the tree knew it was coming north so need to loose some leaves!!!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-198886.jpe  
Old 05-18-2011, 04:58 PM

how to use the large spools of Essential thread on my sewing machine? My thread holder is for smaller spools and the large one jumps off. I know it is a dumb question but I would like to know since I have purchased several spools.

Thanks for your help.
These are not the cones. I have a cone holder but these are the Connecting Thread Essentials. They are 2 1/2 inches tall with a larger hole than regular spools.
you can get a hollowed out piece of a dowel and stick inside the spool of thread. I have one that a lady gave to me because she had also given me a spool of that thread yoru talking about. I have it in one of my plastic containers buried upstairs beneath the fabric pile. But its about 2 inches or so tall and it just goes inside the spool.