Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help me see this from another perspective, please >

help me see this from another perspective, please

help me see this from another perspective, please

Old 01-19-2012, 11:15 AM

There are many, many more organizations that have need for your lovely quilts...Just ask and I'm sure that people will help you find another location to send your donations. I sent several out this past year...and only heard an acknowledgement that they were received from 2 of the 4 organizations.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:29 AM

My thoughts, at this time, are with paulina in that it may be difficult to respond because of high volume of work and low numbers of workers. Many of these workers must be volunteers. I know, personally, that I like and would expect a simple reply. This is human and normal. I think that maybe we, as quilters and givers, could try to not get upset at non-profit organizations when we do not receive a response. On the other hand, I believe that it is crucial that a gift to an individual be recognized. I became involved in a situation last year where we (quilt board members) were asked to make "shrouds" or give colored sheets w/designs on them to cover our soldiers who die at Veteran's hospitals. I believe I sent 4 sheets but never heard back from the nurse who asked for them. I too was hurt and surprised at the non-response. My reaction to this was not to do or send any more sheets. In retrospect, I believe that I should have been more empathetic to this caregiver and lowered my expectations of her. I believe that in this instance, I was the one who "let the ball drop" and not her. I actually am ashamed of myself for my reaction. Plan to be more empathetic and less expectant in the future. Just my thoughts. Hopefully, they will help you feel better about yourself and your charitable work. I actually learned many years ago that if you give something to someone because you believe you will get something in return, you will most likely always be disappointed (and this is in regard to my own family). Yolanda Wood River
Old 01-19-2012, 04:09 PM

Sounds to me like the recipient is very lax in doing their job. Send your quilts where they don't have to be followed up on.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:50 PM

every organization that deals with volunteers walks a fine line keeping their voluteers happy. a donation is a gift given voluntarily. you don't have to, and they need to be aware of that if they aren't. they depend on your willingness to continue to give of your time and skill and materials in the form of quilts. if all it takes is an acknowledgement it is shortsighted and foolish to the extreme for them to overlook it. it does make you wonder what else they are overlooking. still, it is a harsh climate for non-profits and many will go under for lack of donations and workers. i would say if it is a cause dear to your heart, make it as easy as possible for them and cut them every bit of slack you can.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:27 PM

Instead of making quilts and mailing to another state (?) how bout going to your local charities and give to them instead?
Old 01-20-2012, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by nycquilter View Post
Paulina, I wasn't upset that I had to go to the Post Office. I was upset at me that it took me so long! So I added a second quilt as an apology. My concern is that the quilts might have been lost. I don't need kudos about wonderful quilts, gorgeous work, yada yada. I wanted only to know the quilts arrived safely. Gratitude was not what I was seeking. I truly believe that I must give back because my life is good. So my way of giving gratitude is to share and pass on. I was worried that I hadn't heard from her and the box was lost. I had sent them with tracking, but by the time I realized I had not heard, I was on vacation in Spain visiting my daughter and didn't have access to the tracking numbers.
A delivery confirmation would let you know that the quilts got to their destination more quickly than anything else. I think your follow-up e-mail was the second best solution. Both of these allow you to know the quilt was not lost and don't depend solely on the charity (probably volunteers) to get back to you.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:19 AM

IMO they should have at a minimum acknowledge receipt. I'm sorry they didn't until you emailed them. I understand that people get busy in life and life happens around us, however, there is a common courtesy. Glad they arrived safely.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dodie View Post
did you ever think maybe she chose to keep the quilts then feel guilty about it and just put off sending a card I know people from around here who volinter to work in 2 different thrift stores and they are very open about it saying if something nice and they want they just take it insteard of putting it out where it should go makes me wonder how many places do this I am very careful who I donate to maybe I am to fussy
I once saw an article about donating quilts for the homeless. It stated that the quilts should be "ugly" because somebody might try to steal it from the recepiant(SP) or it might never get to the homeless. That's sad but probably true.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dodie View Post
did you ever think maybe she chose to keep the quilts then feel guilty about it and just put off sending a card I know people from around here who volinter to work in 2 different thrift stores and they are very open about it saying if something nice and they want they just take it insteard of putting it out where it should go makes me wonder how many places do this I am very careful who I donate to maybe I am to fussy
Nope, that thought NEVER occurred to me. I am sure she gave the quilts as promised.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:24 PM

Great, positive suggestions here. Thank you for sharing these tips.

Originally Posted by pinkberrykay View Post
I can understand how you feel. In the future why don't you add Delivery Confirmation to your package so you know that it was delivered. Or, you can place a note in the box attached to the quilts thats asks the recipient to email you once they have received the quilts.