Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your take on 'modern' quilts? >

What is your take on 'modern' quilts?

What is your take on 'modern' quilts?

Old 12-15-2013, 10:56 AM

Im open to all ideas except Kaffe whatever his name is. The fabrics are too bright with large designs. Don't care for Tula Pink or whatever her name is either.
Love historical, batiks, small prints, 1930s, florals, etc.
Not into blue, more a green person.
Traditional and modern and embroidery are all wonderful.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:35 AM

I like some elements of modern quilting and others I don't like. I've kept a few features and discarded others in my quilting. I'm not a huge fan of gray, which seems to be prevalent, but I do appreciate the clean cut look. Often I find myself making designs that are much more complicated than the typical modern quilt, even if I start with a more simplistic plan.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:40 AM
Power Poster

I just love how this discussion is going. It exemplifies what quilting is all about and why it is so appealing to many types of technique and fabric as well as personality (the anal--using 3/4" piecing to get miniatures-"who moi?" or the haphazard hey it's done and enjoy--"who moi, again?") and left or right brain gifted.

Admittedly I shied away from the modern quilt movement in the beginning, but as I have explored it more, I have come to understand it better and in the end began to understand myself as a quilter.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:14 PM

To me, some modern quilts miss the mark. I hope I don't offend anyone, but when, years ago, I saw a quilt made from zippers, I did not care for it at all. Ditto, strings, ribbons, hanging from quilts. That's just not my preference. More power to anyone who can design a unique fresh design that says "modern".
Old 12-15-2013, 01:07 PM

I love modern quilts with lots of solids and a ton of negative space for me to play with the quilting. Personally, I think the modern quilt is more of a place for a quilter to show off her skills, like a whole cloth. If you don't do your own quilting, do be prepared to pay a much higher price to have quality quilting on a modern quilt. I find them more difficult to create then just following a traditional pattern someone else created, because I have to come up with the design of the quilt. Personally, I don't like reproduction fabrics or the "30's" style of fabrics. The crisp, clean lines of the solids really appeals to me.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
To me, some modern quilts miss the mark. I hope I don't offend anyone, but when, years ago, I saw a quilt made from zippers, I did not care for it at all. Ditto, strings, ribbons, hanging from quilts. That's just not my preference. More power to anyone who can design a unique fresh design that says "modern".
Zippers? I agree and think their shouldn't be hard objects in a quilt. Kinda defeats the purpose.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:30 PM
RST

Quite honestly, I've never once seen zippers or really any dimensional applique or "Stuff" on modern quilts. I do recall when it was all exciting to put beads, ribbons, lace, trinkets, recycling, bangles, sequins, etc. on quilts, usually wallhangings. That was one trend I had to step far away from. Shudder.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:36 PM

I think there is a place for modern quilting... I like them just as well as I like the ones that are more like a photo.. To each his own.. I really like the traditional patterns. But I don't want to limit myself, so I would love to learn some new tecniques. This is a great quilt.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:44 PM

Most of the modern quilts I have seen (in books at the library) tend to use solid color fabric. I have nothing against them, but I practically never buy solids and prefer the myriad opportunities allowed by fabric with patterns. I suppose it's all a question of taste. I think I may try a "modern" quilt with more traditional patterned fabrics.

As to whether they're easier -- they certainly look to be of very simple construction, but (again) nothing wrong with that. Whatever floats your boat. Maybe the fact that they're easier will encourage some younger people to try quilting and they may eventually attempt some more traditional patterns and techniques.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:59 PM

Your quilt is very nice. However, my overall impression of more modern quilts is that they have a more limited color pallette, generally speaking. I think that's why I like modern - I'm more drawn to the simplicity of fewer fabrics. But your's is lovely.