Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • This hurt my feelings >
  • This hurt my feelings

• This hurt my feelings

Old 03-11-2010, 04:21 PM

I love gifts that my daughter makes. They are treasured gifts. Return your thoughts to your mother and how happy you will make her with your quilt--a wonderful gift from your heart to hers.
    Old 03-11-2010, 04:24 PM

LOL, I convinced my daughter that she was wearing designer originals because I don't use patterns to make clothing. I told her that anyone could wear something off the rack. She loved it when the girls at school would tell her that they loved her outfit and ask where she got it. She'd say, "Oh you can't find it in stores, it's an original designed specifically for me." She'll be 11 in a week and she still loves her originals.
    Old 03-11-2010, 04:27 PM

She sounds like a nonquilter and a person who doesn't value handmade items from the heart. Don't let her bother you. At least you don't have to worry about ever making her one!! I actually thought at one time that my family didn't value my quilts (I have all boys) but then my son and his wife told me that they thought they would be getting a quilt for their wedding and that they were a bit disappointed that they didn't. Whoa! I am making them one now!! They like grey and brown, but that just doesn't pop for me... they really liked the black and white and gold one I made for my other son, but I can't repeat those colors.. hmm. I need something to put with the grey and brown that will zing.
    Old 03-11-2010, 04:28 PM

I've always assumed that when people said, "Oh you're one of those", that they were referring to extremely talented, creative and intelligent individuals that they'd only seen pictures of.
    I mean, they'd have to be, right?
    Old 03-11-2010, 04:31 PM

Talk about time too plan a blanket!! I was told my favorite nice was pregnant and the due date, almost 8 months and a week away. Sis told me what colors she would like and to have animals on it. I planned and bought fabrics and probably bought at least twice as much as would be neede if I just bought a kit but until I did this, I didn't have that perfect combination. It was completed a day or 2 before her shower and as it was, she had the baby about 2 weeks early. Because I am the procrastinator of the siblings, Sis made a loving comment: I am impressed, I expected a picture of what it would be when it was complete (this happened somewhat like that at another shower, I brought the top). But she added that it was perfect. And niece said I had the colors and animals that couldn't have been a better choice. Porter loves the blanket and his brother Harland also has one similar to it. Love those little guys!!
    Old 03-11-2010, 04:36 PM

Please don't be hurt by this SIL as she is ignorant. Speak out and tell her about your workmanship and the expense. That would be a good lesson for this person to learn about quilting.
    It is too bad that crafts of sewing, knitting and other handwork are no longer being taught to the next generation. Most would rather just buy things from China. I remember when something made in China was so cheap and you didn't buy it. Now everyone wants that made in China product and it still is cheap. Show the woman the dif between store bought and handmade. Perhaps you can instill in her a healthy respect for something handmade. I had a gal stay here so she could finish her teaching degree. One day she asked if I would repair a small hole in her panties. I asked her if she couldn't sew herself and what she would do if missing a button on something. I did not repair her garment. But I was shocked!
    Old 03-11-2010, 04:36 PM

Animals live and die, plants live and die but stupid lives forever.
    Old 03-11-2010, 04:38 PM

My quilting instructor says, "Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage."
    Old 03-11-2010, 04:41 PM

rapture, I love it!lolol
    Old 03-11-2010, 05:02 PM

I UNDERSTAND. KNOW REALLY DOES KNOW THE TIME AND THROUGHT THATS GOES IN TO A QUILT. IT TAKES ME FOR EVER TO PICK OUT MY COLORS,AND PATTERN THEN WE CUT UP CLOTH,LOLAND THEN PUT IT ALL BACK TOGETHER,LOL BUT IN THAT TIME WE ARE THINKING ABOUT THAT SPECIAL PERSON IT IS FOR,ONLY REAL QUILTERS WILL KNOW HOW YOU FELT. YOU KNOW IN YOUR HEART ITS VERY SPECIAL .