Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • guttermann thread problem? >
  • guttermann thread problem?

• guttermann thread problem?

Old 11-08-2010, 02:54 PM

I had (note, had) a Janome machine and it gave me nothing but trouble. I used Gutermann thread at the time and still do. Now I have a Bernina and it works fine Gutermann or no. I know a lot of people like their Janomes and I've only had one bare bones model, but I'd say it's a problem with the machine, not the thread.
    Old 11-08-2010, 06:26 PM

Wait a moment, fellow quilters......all of my Gutermann thread says Made In Greece.

I have no problem with any of my three Bernina's sewing with Gutermann, as long as I am piecing. When it comes to machine quilting or free motion quilting, I use The Bottom Line products. I have tried Coats-Clark and, while it leaves a great quilting track, it is quite messy to use. I have to vacuum the lint from spool area daily.
    Old 11-08-2010, 06:35 PM

I didn't read all of the posts, but inow that it depends on the position of your spool holder on tha machine. If it is horizontal you are to use a thread wound horizontally (guterman), and if it is vertical, you should use a vertically wound (coats and clark)spool.It's how the machine draws in the thread that makes the difference.
    Old 11-08-2010, 09:22 PM

I didn't know the reason why, but my Janome6500 doesn't like Gutterman either.

It likes Superior, Connecting Threads and others.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
    Old 11-09-2010, 02:50 AM

Never had any problems with Gutermann on my Janome, but my Brother doesn't seem to like it so much.
    Old 11-09-2010, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by All Thumbs
    Wait a moment, fellow quilters......all of my Gutermann thread says Made In Greece.
    So does mine!
    :-D
    Old 11-09-2010, 12:11 PM
    Bev

Originally Posted by All Thumbs

I have no problem with any of my three Bernina's sewing with Gutermann, as long as I am piecing. When it comes to machine quilting or free motion quilting, I use The Bottom Line products. I have tried Coats-Clark and, while it leaves a great quilting track, it is quite messy to use. I have to vacuum the lint from spool area daily.
    That's a new one. it seems the Gutermann people shop around for the least expensive deal on manufacturing their thread.

It also seems that our machines have different tastes when it comes to thread. Some have champagne tastes. Others settle for the beer taste. However Gutermann isn't a cheap thread, nor is it the most expensive. I'd say Aurifil is a more or less pricey thread. But since my machine seems to like Gutermann as well as Coats&Clark, I'll keep on using them. At the rate I use thread, what with quilting and sewing, I need to be a little thrifty where I can. I don't economize on the quality of my fabric though, unless I catch sales. We all have to shop around a little more than we used to, I think. ;-)
    Old 11-09-2010, 01:05 PM

My Bernina has an allergy to Cloaks and Clark. It does ok with Guttermann but it really enjoys Mettler. Funny I posted about this a while back on my blog because I'd just spent the better part of a weekend cussing at my machine..then I cleaned it change the thread brand and all was peaceful again.
    Old 11-09-2010, 01:19 PM

I tend to use Mettler or Sulky. I was told that Coats and Clarks was old school and did not work well with newer machines. I hadn't heard that about Gutterman, I've used some, no problems with either the Janome 11000 or the 7700.
    Old 11-09-2010, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by AmyBaby
    My Bernina has an allergy to Cloaks and Clark. It does ok with Guttermann but it really enjoys Mettler. Funny I posted about this a while back on my blog because I'd just spent the better part of a weekend cussing at my machine..then I cleaned it change the thread brand and all was peaceful again.
    As I said earlier, I use Guttermann all the time, but have on occasion used mettler. And, in a pinch have used C & C, and while the stitch isn't quite as nice, it has worked. But my go to is Guttermann. I guess it is all what our babies want (our machines ;) )