Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 06-19-2015, 03:11 PM

Not really a machine as such. I'm starting to spend some time in my shop again. I've resumed work on a portable case I'm making to fit a full size Singer. The woodwork is all done. I'm just waiting to find an old briefcase or other case with latches and a handle I can rob for this case. New hardware is expensive and I'm trying to keep things cheap.
Maybe I can try my hand at some hardware too. The handle shouldn't be a big problem and there are other ways besides latches tie the top and bottom of the case together.
Might be a fun way to go.
Rodney
Old 06-20-2015, 05:42 AM

Rodney you could explain how to swap out handles. I've go a replacement for my feather weight but it seems like I have to ruin the case to remove the old one.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:47 AM

I'm working on the machine I got for its name. The Roberts, I thought I should include my husband in the collection.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 06-20-2015, 06:11 AM

Interesting machine.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 06-20-2015, 06:12 AM

I haven't had a featherweight case in hand to know how the handles were installed. The last case I built I took the handle off an old briefcase (nothing valuable-vinyl exterior but had decent hardware). The handle was riveted on on that one and I wasn't interested in preserving the case. I ripped the lining out then drilled the rivets to get the handle out. I then drilled out the rivets completely and tapped threads in the handle so I could screw the handle down on the new case. It worked for the briefcase but your featherweight case is likely to use a different style of handle.
I would probably use a razor or utility knife to carefully cut the lining on the inside of the featherweight case to access the fasteners for your handle. As long as you're careful you should be able to lift the liner out of the way enough to work then glue it back down when you're done. It might show a little but it would be better than replacing the whole liner.
I did a quick look at cases on the internet. It looks like at least a couple different styles of handles might have been used over the years. A lot depends on the style of handle Singer used and how it was mounted.
Rodney
Old 06-20-2015, 07:36 AM

hmm I think I need to pay some of y'all plane tickets to fly out and get all my machines up and running! I'm not too good at fiddling :-(
Old 06-20-2015, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I haven't had a featherweight case in hand to know how the handles were installed. The last case I built I took the handle off an old briefcase (nothing valuable-vinyl exterior but had decent hardware). The handle was riveted on on that one and I wasn't interested in preserving the case. I ripped the lining out then drilled the rivets to get the handle out. I then drilled out the rivets completely and tapped threads in the handle so I could screw the handle down on the new case. It worked for the briefcase but your featherweight case is likely to use a different style of handle.
I would probably use a razor or utility knife to carefully cut the lining on the inside of the featherweight case to access the fasteners for your handle. As long as you're careful you should be able to lift the liner out of the way enough to work then glue it back down when you're done. It might show a little but it would be better than replacing the whole liner.
I did a quick look at cases on the internet. It looks like at least a couple different styles of handles might have been used over the years. A lot depends on the style of handle Singer used and how it was mounted.
Rodney
Thanks for the great idea. I am not at home to look at it but the razor blade sound like a good way to go.
HelenAnn
Old 06-20-2015, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
Interesting machine.

CD in Oklahoma
He is very smooth for his age.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by HelenAnn View Post
He is very smooth for his age.
Are you talking about CD or a sewing machine?
Old 06-20-2015, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Are you talking about CD or a sewing machine?
Prolly CD! He's been pretty fired up lately lol!

FREE Quilting Newsletter