Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 11-13-2014, 05:47 PM
Power Poster

Well, I took that puppy apart. I got a screwdriver out and pried that center thing out enough to get a hold of it with the needle nose plyers. Then I took the needle nose pliers and crushed that thing holding the sides together and slipped the round things out. Ha a cool looking Christmas present. I might have to polish - very roughly made.

Last edited by miriam; 11-13-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:00 PM

Well, I got "working, uninspected" running last night ("work-in-progress" remains, uh, WIP). It's a 1951 Pfaff 130, complete with portable case and metal (as opposed to bakelite) knobs. Got the ZZ selector unfrozen, got it to sew a few stitches. Only *real* issue with this machine is the fact that the bobbin case lever is broken, but that's not a biggie.

A few minor adjustments with thread tension, and it was cranking away just fine. It seems to sew better at max speed than at really slow speeds (in terms of missed stitches, etc.).

This is going to be fun.[ATTACH=CONFIG]498795[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]498796[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails tumblr_nf1rlixkk91shukpfo1_1280.jpg   tumblr_nf1rlixkk91shukpfo2_1280.jpg  
Old 11-15-2014, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

Why would a machine make a perfect stitch then when you run it in reverse the bobbin thread comes way up loose - loopy bald heads..... only in reverse...
Old 11-15-2014, 07:15 PM

Newbie Here....I bought this Brunswick today for $19.95! I'll need to refinish the cabinet and clean up the machine. It's missing the front throat plate but it moves freely. Plan to post my progress. Any suggestions for parts or refinishing of what has worked for you is welcome!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]498956[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 11-15-2014, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by bplipschitz View Post
Well, I got "working, uninspected" running last night ("work-in-progress" remains, uh, WIP). It's a 1951 Pfaff 130, complete with portable case and metal (as opposed to bakelite) knobs. Got the ZZ selector unfrozen, got it to sew a few stitches. Only *real* issue with this machine is the fact that the bobbin case lever is broken, but that's not a biggie.

A few minor adjustments with thread tension, and it was cranking away just fine. It seems to sew better at max speed than at really slow speeds (in terms of missed stitches, etc.).

This is going to be fun.[ATTACH=CONFIG]498795[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]498796[/ATTACH]
Hey, yours is just like mine! I have a 1951 Pfaff 130 with too. Your stitching is coming out better than mine is though. Mine has been a WIP for a long time. Mine started out 90% frozen and missing a cord, a belt, and a foot controller. When I want to feel especially frustrated I put in more time working on it. Last time around, I was testing out the stitching now that everything is moving correctly. Even though the needle moves left and right, my zig zag stitch is coming out straight. grr. If you figure out what is causing the skipped stitches let me know!
Old 11-16-2014, 02:05 AM
Power Poster

I tried to sew on a machine last night - it was skipping stitches. The needle was the wrong length or the wrong size.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I tried to sew on a machine last night - it was skipping stitches. The needle was the wrong length or the wrong size.
What machine was it?
Old 11-16-2014, 03:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
What machine was it?
The Davis takes long needles. I had it set short but I guess I didn't have the screw in tight enough - the needle gave when it went through fabric.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post

Thanks for the heads up. I will double check and see what I have in it!
Old 11-16-2014, 11:16 AM

I would also suggest trying to figure out which tension is wrong. In the photo, I see bobbin thread loops, which indicates inconsistent bobbin tension. Disassemble and clean under the tension spring. set it back to a "proper" tension, then see how it sews. If it's still not right, post a photo and tweak the upper tension. Upper tension too tight can also cause skipped stitches, as well as pulling the bobbin thread to the top. Upper tension too tight can also come from the wrong sized (too small) needle for the thread.

FREE Quilting Newsletter