Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 11-13-2014, 08:32 AM

Hi,

Just joined recently, as I am now the owner of 2 Pfaff 130s. One is "working, uninspected" (havent' had time to go over it with a fine-toothed comb), and the other is "work-in-progress" (not fully 100% yet, as I'll describe).

Ole "WIP" came to me seized completely. Application of heat & triflow pretty much got all the part moving, I've gotten the timing set correctly, but the machine binds when in ZZ mode.

Specifically, it binds *only* when moving the machine in the forward sewing direction, but not reverse (the motor is off the machine -- have to replace the frayed power cord). More specifically, it binds when the block attached to the forked connecting rod moves up in the ZZ selector assembly channel.

Since it only happens in forward, it seemed to me that there might be something amiss with the cam driving the fork. Nope -- that all looks to be in good shape upon inspection.

So, I'm back to focusing on that block/channel assembly, and wondering if I'll disassemble all that this weekend to figure this out.

This is my first foray into old sewing machines (I have some projects I want to sew this winter, and wanted a simple yet well-built machine), and have to say I'm really impressed with the engineering and machine work of the Pfaff. It's also been really fun to learn what makes these things tick.

I think I've caught the bug, though -- I see a loverly 360 with cabinet on Craiglist, for a reasonable price. It's only a wee three-hour drive away. . .

--
Jim
Old 11-13-2014, 09:02 AM

Welcome aboard Jim!
Rodney
Old 11-13-2014, 09:28 AM
Banned

Welcome to the board! I hope you know what you are getting yourself into here... We are serious enablers. no restraint, no reason, we just love the machines....
Old 11-13-2014, 10:58 AM

Thanks, Rodney and SteveH! I recognize the signs of the sickness -- I tinker with one of these machines, now I want to tinker with several different models to see how they *all* work. If only I didn't need to sleep. . .
Old 11-13-2014, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by bplipschitz View Post
Thanks, Rodney and SteveH! I recognize the signs of the sickness -- I tinker with one of these machines, now I want to tinker with several different models to see how they *all* work. If only I didn't need to sleep. . .
eh,.. sleep is overrated! I do it mostly on Tuesdays. Every second one if I can get away with it.

Welcome! And go get that 360.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:21 PM

Hi Jim,

Hoping someone familiar with your 130's will chime in--guess every machine has it's idiosyncrasies. I hear there a favorite of recreational sailors and the tolerances are very close due to fussy German engineering but sew as smooth as silk. Good Luck and enjoy.

Jon
Old 11-13-2014, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by bplipschitz View Post
I think I've caught the bug, though -- I see a loverly 360 with cabinet on Craiglist, for a reasonable price. It's only a wee three-hour drive away. . .
I'd be seriously tempted with that one. The 360 is a does everything free arm, and pretty rare beasts.

With your 130, I have my friend's one, and when timing the hook I think it had to be in the left position. There's a yahoo group called oldpfaffpforum and they have loads of 130 information.

Last edited by manicmike; 11-13-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:27 PM
Power Poster

I tried to sew on a Singer 500 today. I wanted a certain decorative stitch. I thought I had that machine working. I could sew about an inch then the bobbin works would knot up. I got so mad I got out my trusty old 403, changed out the thread and bobbin and guess what - it did the same thing. So I looked at the bobbin. It was one of those cheap bobbins off the peg hook some where recently. It had a place the thread was catching when I was sewing. gggrrrr..... as soon as I put a better bobbin in I 'fixed' both machines. LOL
Old 11-13-2014, 05:11 PM

Miriam, I've had that happen, too, mostly with the "CHEAP" metal ones. The only time I had a problem with the Singer plastic ones was when I stepped on one and cracked the heck out of it! I didn't even try to sew with that one! There are some very poor quality bobbins out there -- my son is a stickler - he'll check every one of them before I sew using one! I guess I should be glad he's that supportive, and I really am glad! Glad there was nothing wrong with the machines, just the darned old bobbin!

Jeanette
Old 11-13-2014, 05:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
Miriam, I've had that happen, too, mostly with the "CHEAP" metal ones. The only time I had a problem with the Singer plastic ones was when I stepped on one and cracked the heck out of it! I didn't even try to sew with that one! There are some very poor quality bobbins out there -- my son is a stickler - he'll check every one of them before I sew using one! I guess I should be glad he's that supportive, and I really am glad! Glad there was nothing wrong with the machines, just the darned old bobbin! Jeanette
Jeanette, it sure had me bewildered for a few minutes. I need to get that bobbin in captivity and maybe see if it wants to be re-purposed into a necklace or something.

FREE Quilting Newsletter