Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric cost too much >

Fabric cost too much

Fabric cost too much

Old 08-09-2011, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by BarbM32
I grieve to see my online friends being so affected with the higher prices fabrics. You know everything is affected, gas, food, clothes, higher utilities. Takes electricity to run our fancy machines, you might need a treadle. Be happy with what you have now. I know how to live without but I look around at you younger ones who has not had this experience and I feel so sorry for you. My best advice is get rid of your credit cards, buy only what you need, don't put all your cash in the banks, stock up some food and ammo, do not tell. If it gets as bad as predicted, those who do not have will try to take it from you. For the first time in my life I dispise policitians and what they have done to out wonderful country, now a laughing stock of world. Sorry if I'm depressing but I want you people realize how much you still have and enjoy today, yesterday is gone and tomorrow is yet to come. Still raining in Ark.
I agree, we all could live by the old philosphy, don't buy what you can't afford to pay cash for. We are living this lifestyle and it makes us so much happier. "Keeping up with the Jonses" is a lot of work! Been there, done that!
Old 08-09-2011, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by crafterrn1
Support your local quilt shops or be prepared to shop on-line all the time! Just my Humble Opinion on the matter! Thanks for listening! Luann in CT were 3 quilt shops closed in in past 6 months!
Luann..it takes way more than a few small purchases to keep a shop open. I know, all I had was those small purchases. THe average 1K sq ft shop needs to make about $1,000.00 day in sales just to break even!

Many small shops are closing due to over population of shops...lack of control on their spending, mismanagement, and a vast array of other reasons. It is just always easiest to blame the economy, walmart, or online shops!

For the record, many of us here do not live anywhere close to a LQS,(let alone 3 of them) so if we do not like the big box chain stores, we rely on the online shops. AND many of the online shops that I use are either B&M shops, or used to be B&M shops!
As she said though, it takes MANY small purchases but we can keep shops afloat that are well-managed and struggling. How many people in this thread alone are complaining that they'll never go back to a particular retailer because they are selling at higher prices than they were before? As I've said before, they HAVE to raise prices on old stock in order to buy NEW stock once we've cleaned them out of the old stuff!

LQS can't win in this economy, no matter what they do. All WE can do as consumers is either sacrifice a little each to support them through this, or let them go entirely -- and not pretend we weren't the reason when they're gone.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:15 AM

Grocery stores and even Walmart change prices on all their stock all the time. They just don't put the prices on the stock anymore. Just shelf stickers or scanners nearby. If the groceries come in at a higher price, everything on the shelf gets the higher price. I just had a salesman in the store yesterday and my wholesale price IS $7.95 and $8.95. According to most on this board I should sell for $6.95?
Old 08-09-2011, 07:18 AM

Having just begun to quilt, I too was taken aback by the cost of fabric.....so I now go to Good Will, Salvation Army, yard and estate sales. I have been VERY pleases with the scraps I have found, and have gotten lots, all for under about $10.00 for a arm load!
Old 08-09-2011, 07:22 AM

Julie Thanks for reading my post as it was meant to be read. I have more fabric than a small quilt shop. that being said I still need the right fabric to go with the stuff I have. I also am a designer and find I need to have fresh fabric for patterns that I sell. I love scrap quilts. I love the thought of going back to the basics but I also know that we must support local economy or suffer for the loss. I do shop on line when my local stores do not have what I need. I try to support my local shops at least once a month. The economy is not going to get better anytime soon. We need to be sauvy shoppers but also we need to support the industry as well.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by ThreadHead
I went to a local fabric store yesterday to pick up my pattern book. Every three or four yiears I buy their old pattern books when they get the new ones in. I was so upset at the prices of material. I refuse to pay 12.00 a yard. Most of the quilting fabric was 10.00 and UP, ultra suede was .45 cents and INCH. Needless to say, I walked out without buying anything. Just venting.
I've received notes from quilters overseas who are paying over $30 a metre.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:35 AM

Unfortunately, online purchases can be so much less expensive. I went online yesterday and got Benartex for $2.50 a yard. It may not be my FIRST choice for color or pattern, but I sure can use it in my charity quilts. If I were you, I'd sign up for the recommendations in the "Links and Resources" section of this newsletter. That's where I got the link yesterday...."Cotton" something was the title.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:37 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by thrums
Originally Posted by ThreadHead
I went to a local fabric store yesterday to pick up my pattern book. Every three or four yiears I buy their old pattern books when they get the new ones in. I was so upset at the prices of material. I refuse to pay 12.00 a yard. Most of the quilting fabric was 10.00 and UP, ultra suede was .45 cents and INCH. Needless to say, I walked out without buying anything. Just venting.
I've received notes from quilters overseas who are paying over $30 a metre.
Yes, I pay the equivalent of around $20 if I pay full price BUT I will not order from the US unless it's a specific fabric that I can't find here. I support my LQS and a few online suppliers here in the UK that have given me good service. This is primariliy a hobby - not a necessity. Better complain about rising food prices, that is a necessity and affects everyone, not just quilters. :?
Old 08-09-2011, 07:42 AM

Amen
Old 08-09-2011, 07:44 AM

Just one more thing....I have supported our local quilting shop by taking classes and buying some material. I do believe supporting our LOCAL economy. I live in the country, buy local, home grown food and try my best not to go to Wallmart!!!!