Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How do you manage your time after you retire? >

How do you manage your time after you retire?

How do you manage your time after you retire?

Old 08-22-2011, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by lheartsl
I have a long time before retirement comes.... almost 25 years to go.....ughhhhhhhhh
Yeah, me too! I can only dream of retirement. :D
Old 08-22-2011, 06:24 PM

Well, it seems I don't have enough time in a day!! I don't know how I worked and did all that I do. Sometimes, I quilt, I crochet, I visit my brother & sister who are 1 hr away, I watch my grandkids sometimes (which I love), I do a little consulting work and on and on
Old 08-22-2011, 06:54 PM

I hate to tell you this, but if you're like me, you won't have time to get bored. I'm involved with several things along with my semi-retired husband. Evenings are quiet, but our days are full. Retire and enjoy yourself.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:56 PM

I have been retired about 15 years now and some days I do nothing and some days I accomplish a lot. I belong to a Historical Society, small Quilt Guild and wonder how I ever found time to work. Don't get enough time to spend quilting that's for sure, too many other things take over. Enjoy going with DH as so many years he worked away from home for long periods of time, so enjoy our time together.

When I retired someone asked me what I was going to do and I laughed and said I hoped to have a cleaner house than I had while I was working===well that turned into a joke. If someone say go, I beat them to the door and forget the housework it will wait until tomorrow and if I am not around someoe else can do it. I intend to have fun for as long as I am able. Had serious heart surgery this past February and that slowed me down some, but still go and enjoy life. When I first retired I went at everything a mile a minute and hubby kept saying you have tomorrow to do some of that. Believe me he should never have said that, as I put a lot of things off until tomorrow or even the next day.

So just go with the flow and see how you like it. I missed the people contact and still do, but tworking days and nights (was on call 24 hrs a day) so everytime I thought about going back to work even part-time, I would think I have to get up of a morning maybe every day and then try to get my work done again when I come home and that cooled my enthusiasm for returning to work very quickly. As others have said go out to lunch with others when you can and just enjoy doing what you want to do when you want to do it. Retirement is great!

themachinelady
Old 08-22-2011, 07:20 PM

I just retired a little over two months ago. I love it. Meet friends and quilt at least once or twice a week. Still working on getting my house organized and getting rid of stuff. Able to catch all the latest movies and read the latest books. Meet friends for lunch. I have even volunteered at my old job a few times. You can be as busy as you want or just relax for a while. Don't want to get too busy and stress out.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:55 PM
Dee

Enjoy being retired. Takes about a year to settle in, but I really for once enjoy doing what I want-when I want. No more time schedules. I haven't wore a watch for 6 years now.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:25 PM

I've been retired for a year now after 28 years in education. I used to make about 4 quilts a year. This past year I only had time to make 2. I babysit my beautiful grandsons whenever needed. I'm able to have a big garden and people have told me numerous times that my yard looks like a park this year. My house is acceptable if someone drops by, and I have time to renew friendships that have been neglected. I know that early retirement was the right thing for me, but if you're not really sure you're ready, stick it out another year. Whatever choices you make - do make sure your enjoy your life.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:36 PM

Well, I worked about 60 hrs a week for so long that I decided to not have to be anywhere at a certain time at the beginning of retirement. I slept 8 hours. Wow! I cleaned the house, closets etc. Began walking, dieting, reading and slowly began to figure out what I wanted to do the rest of my life. I missed sewing so I got into that again. Joined a group that meets weekly to quilt. They have a stash to end all stashes. I use their fabrics for their projects. I slowly added activities keeping Wed., Fri. Sat. and Sun with no required activities and schedules to meet except church attendance. Mon. and Tues I have church related meetings and Thurs. I go quilting. Usually I just have to sew all day Wed. to prepare for Thursday Ha. TV does not come on till I begin to prepare dinner. DH is retired we do lots together and camp once a month with friends. Some time with grandkids, DD and more time to visit family.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:44 PM

When I retired, I gave myself a month to sleep as late as I wanted, watch TV all day (and all night sometimes) read and generally do just what I felt like doing. Then I started going to the senior center, and taking classes at my LQS. Now I don't have time to read...
Old 08-22-2011, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Some days I don't do a whole lot... others I am a busy bee LOL
Maybe a schedule would be more comfortable for you, or try winging it for a while :D:D:D
Try it with and without a schedule and see what you like best.