Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilters under the age of 40?? >

Quilters under the age of 40??

Quilters under the age of 40??

Old 10-20-2009, 12:37 PM

Hi there,
I am 33 and technically I got my machine and started to quilt in 2005, However, I have many ufo's from when I started, and this year have actually gotten quite a bit done, but on new projects go figure. I have 4 children ages 11, 5, almost 4 and 1 month . (Boy, girl, girl,boy) I am trying to get the older children involved that way I can find more time to quilt. They do enjoy it, even my older son, but they don't do a lot. Or if I am embroidering they like to take away the stabilizer if it is washaway or press buttons to stop and start. I don't think of myself as an old lady and any friends I have that quilt are older than I, but not old. Let's keep quilting and get the kids to help.
Kim :) :lol: :D
Old 10-20-2009, 12:40 PM
cjc

ok, I'm 52 and not old.. Which raises the question about why all the quilt guilds in my area only have meetings during the day, when us younger woman have to work. I have to pay for my fabric somehow!!! I have only been quilting for a couple of years, but have done every other type of craft since my teens.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:50 PM

Enjoyed reading all your comments. I am 78 yrs. old, but still young in thoughts. Love quilting, not really good at it, but I do it for pleasure. You are all a really good group, regardles of age, and I get inspiration from all of you. thanks, mary
Old 10-20-2009, 12:53 PM

Cjc, your question about why the guilds in your area only meet during the day, given the number of younger women quilting and need to work is so on target. Made me think about a meeting my church had a few years back (when I was still working) to try to get the women of the parish together and find why more younger women weren't involved and discuss how to get more younger women to become involved in church activities. The meeting was at 10 a.m. on a Tuesday. :lol:
Old 10-20-2009, 01:15 PM

Just turned 35 and been quilting for 5 years now. I love to go to quilting retreats with all my "old lady" friends and get a "mommy time out". I am often the youngest of the bunch but don't mind it at all as it is a nice change of pace from toddler-ese. Yes, my husband often gets many comments when they find out that his wife quilts (like "Geez, how much older than you is she?"). And would love to be the fly on the wall to see thier faces when I tell them that I am 9 years YOUNGER than him.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:34 PM

I am 38 and started quilting 13 years ago. I had a very sick little boy and I needed one night a week just to get out of the house and let my hubby look after the kids. I have a 14 year old daughter and a 13 year old son.

I still look at myself as a new quilter, weird I know.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:47 PM

This is so funny ! revealing our ages to strangers ! I am a blessed 66 years of age, feel about 30, act like I'm 18 (LOL) and most people guess my age to be less than 50....got good genes from Granny . I drive a little red convertible sports car always have a project with me...and I thoroughly enjoy my life...AND...I quilt....daily. I get such a rush when I finish a project....and have so many ideas of using my stash running around in my head, sometimes I feel like a rat caught in a maze,,,,! If being creative makes us old, then I am ancient, but I am doing something I really love to do and that is a good thing !
Old 10-20-2009, 01:48 PM

Gosh, I made my first quilt the year I got married--20 years ago. I am in the over 40 crowd but I just started horseback riding lessons this year--does that count for anything??? :lol: :lol:
Old 10-20-2009, 02:08 PM

Hi, I am 38 and in 6 years all 3 of my children will be over 18. Will that make me old then?
Old 10-20-2009, 02:14 PM

Well, I may not be under 40 but I am delighted to see so many quilters who are.

I am 62 :shock: and never had the time to quilt before I retired. I made many of my own clothes as a teenager. (it was popular then if you can believe it) I figure the quilting gene skipped by mother and my grandmother.

But, my great grandmother she left behind a whole legacy of quilts and all of them were hand piece and hand quilted. I admired them as a child and had no idea that I would be quilting, too.

I took my DIL to a Quilt Show in Long Beach and she did remark how old everyone was but that didn't stop her from buying a jelly roll and quilt patterns. She is now my quilting buddy!