Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Pounce >

Quilt Pounce

Quilt Pounce

Old 03-21-2010, 05:27 PM
Power Poster

I was going to buy one and someone said they would give me hers. I think she forgot.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:55 PM

I have the pounce, bought it several years ago, and just like almost all the others, I do not like it. But I was using it as a pounce and it just made a mess. I was hand quilting and it just wiped away before I got to that area. I use the blue water soluble markers. I also have one that marks in white for dark fabrics and is also water soluble. For small areas and straight lines, I like the chaco liners. However, I did a large hand pieced, and hand quilted for my daugh in law and used the red and blue chaco markers for the ivory sashing . When I finished and washed the quilt only in water, no soap, it did not come out. I did cry. I washed it several times and even used Clorox II (Yikes). It finally faded out, but never again would I use the red and blue on light colors.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:00 PM

wow. that is terrible. what could have made the blue and red chocoliner stay on like that? do you think it was exposed to any heat source? (sunlight, iron, car trunk, etc). or was it on there a long time?
Old 03-26-2010, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by wishiwerequilting
wow. that is terrible. what could have made the blue and red chocoliner stay on like that? do you think it was exposed to any heat source? (sunlight, iron, car trunk, etc). or was it on there a long time?
It definitely was on there for months, I hand quilted it, so I marked sections, quilted it, so it did stay there after I quilted it, until it was fully finished, then washed. No iron or car trunk. I use a hoop, so it did live on my coffee table, waiting for me to get home from work, to pick it up again, so I guess it could have received indirect sun light. I never had this problem with any other markers.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by mtnmama
I have the pounce, bought it several years ago, and just like almost all the others, I do not like it. But I was using it as a pounce and it just made a mess. I was hand quilting and it just wiped away before I got to that area. I use the blue water soluble markers. I also have one that marks in white for dark fabrics and is also water soluble. For small areas and straight lines, I like the chaco liners. However, I did a large hand pieced, and hand quilted for my daugh in law and used the red and blue chaco markers for the ivory sashing . When I finished and washed the quilt only in water, no soap, it did not come out. I did cry. I washed it several times and even used Clorox II (Yikes). It finally faded out, but never again would I use the red and blue on light colors.
I don't know if any of you follow Leah Day and her 352 days of quilting--but she was making a whole cloth quilt and ran out of her blue marker. She use the chalk pencils--and they didn't come out either.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:19 PM

Wow, lots of strong feelings about Pounce and other marking tools. I bought a Pounce too after it was demoed. It did not work well for me either. I have asthma and so I can't use sprays. I thought the Pounce would be great because I would swipe it over my design. It turned out the blue chalk causes my skin to tingle and blue dust did get everywhere. My biggest problem is finding the one tool that will allow me to see my designs while I quilt on fabric with multi color print that includes black and white as well as colors. I had hoped Pounce would have been it but it was a dud. I have success with the blue marking pen. The purple pen disappears too quickly and the marking is too light to see when I quilt. The chalk pencils tips keeps breaking when I sharpen them as well as while I am marking even with very little pressure. The silver pencil doesn't come off the fabric eraser even though it is suppose to. I recently bought a marking pen that looks like a gel pen. As it dries the markings shows up in a matte white. It doesn't rub off and it instantly comes off with iron. I was impressed and hoped that it will come out in other colors soon.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:38 PM
Google Goddess

never heard of that, so what is the best thing to use ?
Old 03-26-2010, 11:42 PM

I am still figuring that out. So far I can say that there is no one tool for all. So far I find the blue making tool is the best for all around fabric colors. I use the white gel pen-like marker when I need to mark on dark areas.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:56 AM

Has anyone tried Sewline? I bought one of these retractable marking pens with white lead in a LQS. The line is VERY precise and it washes out. There are different color refills available. I bet you can "google" or "bing" up a seller source.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:57 AM

P.S. It also requires little pressure so you don't stretch your fabric when you are marking.