Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I just give up? >

Should I just give up?

Should I just give up?

Old 02-09-2011, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by AzSailor
You must be in the same BOM that I am at my quilt shop! I had a problem because the describsion of the materials were not clear and, because it was the 30's and 40's material, it all looked similiar to me. Finally, I just numbered them. I was going to quit also but decided to try ONE MORE TIME to get it right! Let's think of it as a longer learning curve and we will be the better for it :) Keep us informed. Hey, does yours have the circle center...LOL? That is a learning curve in itself!!!
Smiles,
Brenda
NO, there are no circles. Please, I can hardly do straight lines! But thanks and I intend to try one more time and will let everyone know what happens. Wish me luck and skill! hahah
Old 02-09-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Rettie V.Grama
If you have learned enough to cut, piece and sew seams, why not just strike out on your own and practice. Try matching seams on a four patch first, then go to a 9 patch. When you are satisfied with those, then just take some scrap fabric, cut drunkard path pieces (for practice only) and learn how to sew circles, then make a sample of a star. If you can guide yourself through these steps, you will have succeeded. Good Luck! lease, keep us posted on your progress.
Rettie V.Gramma

Originally Posted by MissBarkey
I am part of a Block of the Month group at my local quilt shop. I've been quilting for about 2 years and haven't really accomplished much, but I wanted to join this BOM to learn more about quilting and to end up with a beautiful quilt for my bed. Bad move.
The owner of the shop is a wonderful lady who is patient and helpful and the other ladies in the group are equally helpful. No -problem there. The problem is me and my lack of self-confidence and skill. These ladies are good....really good. They are doing this quilt as either an investment (it was costly) or as an entry in shows. I am totally intimidated by their abilities and have ripped out all my blocks I've done so far.
My question is this, should I just give up and chalk it up to an expensive lesson in "look before you quilt"? I really don't know what to do. Thanks for letting me vent.
Excellent advice!!
Old 02-09-2011, 08:24 AM

Remember everyone was a beginner at one time. Those ladies had to learn also. No one is born a perfect quilter, seamtress, golfer, baseball player, pianoist, etc.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:29 AM

Take a peek at some of the tutorials here and other places online (do a search for quilt tutorials or a particular block's directions). There's some really good ones that show how to do things step by step. Also do a search on Youtube, they have some great videos for anyone interested in learning and you can play it over and over so you can learn at your own pace (something else to do inbetween classes) I quit quilting for over 20 years and I'm just about to get back in to it, I've been bookmarking tutorials all over the place so that I can hopefully learn more than I knew when I quit (which wasn't all that much).
Old 02-09-2011, 08:31 AM

Don't be downhearted, it's a learning experience for you and NO ONE makes a perfect quilt. Every new technique I try doesn't turn out at all as good as I had hoped, but I do learn by doing it. Enjoy this experience and just think how nice it'll look on your bed :D
Old 02-09-2011, 08:32 AM

Please don't give up. This happened to me in 1988 (I still haven't completely finished the quilt) but since then, I found some friends, who came to my house to help, and have been quilting ever since. I am in 2 groups who make quilts for childrens homes.. am in a Guild, and also a small group of 7.. I have worked on many, many quilts since then. They make nice gifts... I also crochet, knit, counted cross stitch, tatting, beading, smocking, and teach anyone who would like to learn, or who just needs a little help... I'll be 81 next month, and still going strong... Diana O.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:39 AM

I am sure that those quilters in your group do not think of themselves as 'experts'. No matter how long we have been quilting we are always learning. Stick with it!!! If you feel that quilting is for you. Next year at this time, I am sure that you will feel differently. We are all behind you.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:43 AM

Absolutely not, keep going. Keep in mind that we are always learning and everyone is on a different level. If you get stuck there is plenty of willing people out there to help, your classmates, teachers, etc. Nobody knows everything. We quilt because we enjoy it, or should enjoy it, do not stress over being perfect. When your blocks are done and made into a quilt, there will not be another one to compare it to. I'm sure you will love it. Keep on sewing and I'm sure you will be proud of the results.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:44 AM

Don't quit! We've all been there. The people in your group will help you and you can also find help here on the board. I was really disgusted with my attempts at free motion quilting yesterday. Some stitches too long, others too tight. Just a real mess. I was really disappointed too, because I really liked the block I was trying to quilt. I ended up throwing it away and just chalking it up to a learning experience. I think I will just do straight line quilting for a while or else try to practice on some material I don't particularly like. Keep going though. You will be surprised how quickly your skills can improve.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:46 AM

Definitely keep going. Quilters love to help one another - and you will soon be helping another newbie. You will have success!!