What was your First Job?

Old 03-22-2011, 10:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by toodie11
Rhonda, I think that you are my sister, Your story is exactly the same as mine, I can change tires, oil and many other things BUT DON'T. At the same time my Uncle got ill and gave my parents his garbage route so I was also a garbage girl. We were a family of 6 girls (no Boys). It was very helpful to grow up with a Automoble knowledge.
I get nostalgic every time I smell gas and oil. I miss those days with my dad. He's been gone 20 years now. I live in his auto shop. We remodeled it of course but it was built for his auto shop business.

I have lots of memories of the service station and then my DH and I ran two gas stations when we were first married. One was a truck stop and one was a service station. I helped replace a transmission in one of our cars and helped DH fix tires and all sorts of things. Our two boys didn't inherit the mechanics gene but our DD can change oil and change spark plugs and she can dicker on buying a car as good as her dad ever was! She loved to spend time with her dad under the hood of a car.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:48 PM

White Castle hamburgers ,I was a cook at 14, LIED and said I was 16. Made 49.50 a week. and always had money haha. they were 15 cents each at that time hehe
Old 03-23-2011, 12:45 AM

My first real job was working for a friend of my sister's who had a secretarial service. One client was an author, not interesting stuff but feasibility studies for potential resorts, stuff like that. I transcribed his dictation. It was in the days of carbon copies and he wouldn't accept anything with an error on it, even a correction. My boss would edit his writing and I typed up all the versions. I had a selectric typewriter which I LOVED, having learned on an old Royal. I really loved that job.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:29 AM

My first job was when I was 10. Watching my little 'bratty' brother while my parents worked. My older sister & brother had already moved out! I had to clean house, mow the lawn, do laundry on a wringer washer & hang it out to dry & keep my eye on my brother at all time. He is still a 'brat'
Don't think a 10 year old could do that now days!
Old 03-23-2011, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by cheryl rearick
My granparents owned a restaurant and on week ends I would wash dished (by hand) all day for .50 then go to candy store and by sibling treats. I was 9 years old. By 14 I could work as a waitress (for family) by then my aunt owned the restaurant. I got $1.00 an hour... Worked 7 days a week. (after school) and week-ends. I think back and could never imagine my children working that young, even at 14 not every day. How times have changed. When I was 10 the neighbor hired me to baby sit a new born.... so unreal now to think of a 10 year old baby sitting a new baby. Have a good day.
I was babysitting others kids at 9 and 10 also. but being the eldest of 6 gave me lots of experience.Especially since I had a mom that liked being pregnant but didn't like taking care of them once they were here. No one thought anything of it back then. Can you imagine the uproar today if a 10 yr old was left to care for younger sibilings for days at a time? And we had horses, dogs, chickens, a goat and a pig that needed care too.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by cheryl rearick
My granparents owned a restaurant and on week ends I would wash dished (by hand) all day for .50 then go to candy store and by sibling treats. I was 9 years old. By 14 I could work as a waitress (for family) by then my aunt owned the restaurant. I got $1.00 an hour... Worked 7 days a week. (after school) and week-ends. I think back and could never imagine my children working that young, even at 14 not every day. How times have changed. When I was 10 the neighbor hired me to baby sit a new born.... so unreal now to think of a 10 year old baby sitting a new baby. Have a good day.
I think ten year olds had more reason for maturity then. We were expected to be responsible. Today they are allowed to 'be a child
and act like one' until high school or college. Ahhh for the 'good old days. I started 'picking berries' for school clothes at 10! We were not the farmers.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:25 PM

I worked at a ceramic shop for .75 an hour and I loved it! We sold things to the lake of the ozarks and my boss would deliver them there on the weekends. I learned how to use the air brush on the greenware ceramics loaded the kilns, cleaned greenware. Good ol' days!!!! Long days no air conditioner. lol
Old 03-23-2011, 04:22 PM

my first job was working at Woolworths on a Saturday it was pocket money as I was still attending school. I served behind the stationary counter and boy did it help with the maths as the cash register didn;t add the amounts as they do now. is that dating me to much lol
Old 03-23-2011, 04:28 PM

My first job was working at a fast food place in the food court at our mall. It was called Orange Julius. We had hot dogs and "Julius" drinks made with fruit juice, a cup of ice, a simple syrup and the special Julius powder. Those were pre-smoothie. Not sure if there are any of them anymore. Ours closed quite a few years ago. It was a good experience but I never have to work in the food industry again.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:05 PM

Besides babysitting and cutting grass, my first real job was with Baskin Robbins Ice Cream when I was 15 and it was fun for a short while, then it was work, like everything else. :lol: :lol: :lol: