Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting Table Ideas >

Cutting Table Ideas

Cutting Table Ideas

Old 07-30-2011, 08:06 PM

I'm short, so it's hard for me to find a cutting table the right height. I also have a small sewing room and everything has to be multifunctionable. I researched and ended up buying a drafting table. It folds down to 6 inches in depth. I can adjust the height and when it is up I can set it along the wall that the baseboard heater is on and not worry about blocking the heat. A 24x36 mat works.

I also can use it in my kitchen when I bake cookies. I will just cover it with an oil cloth.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:20 PM

I am a scant 5 feet tall, and have used my kitchen island for cutting, but find that it is a little tall for me. I end up feeling that my shoulders are pinned up around my ears when I try to hold scissors or use a cutting mat and blade at the correct angle.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:39 AM

Hi Guys and Girls, I was advised years ago that the ideal height for your cutting table is to your waist. If it is at waist height your can stand for hours at the cutting table and you are working with your back straight and your arms bent at the elbow but straight from the elbows onto the table. If you have your shoulders or back bent forward you very soon get back ache and this continues to get worse as you get older.
I have found that mine works really well for me. The guy that told me this was professionally trained in this area of cutting tables etc. and the best height to have all appliances that we all use on a daily basis. Whooo, I just counted up and I have had mine for 52 years. Me-thinks I shouldn't have counted, my age is showing. All the best with your new cutting table.
Lol from Gleniveve
Old 07-31-2011, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingSister
My husband bought 2 bathroom cabinets from Home Depot and clamped them together back-to-back...lots of storage on both sides. He put a large piece of solid wood on top (found at auction on an old lawyer's desk), and it makes the best cutting table/island work station in my sewing room :-)
What a wonderful sewing rm you have, would love to see more...what is the brown open cabinet next to your cutting table?
thank-you for sharing you have given me some wonderful ideas.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:50 AM

I went to Ikea and bought 2 of their 4 x 4 storage cube sets (Expedit is the style). I joined them back to back - making the cubes double deep. I made (with a little handyman help) a frame of 4 x 4 lumber, attached rolling casters to it and then attached the frame to the bottom of the cube. This raised the cube to counter height and the right height for cutting without bending over. I permanently attached a large cutting matt - it covered about 1/2 of the surface. The cubes below have a lot of storage space - and deep if you need it. Otherwise you have a normal size depth on 2 sides. Being able to roll it around makes it possible to move it out of the way if you arent using it. The extra storage space is great.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:23 AM
Banned

My husband added wood pieces to the legs on my old Army desk to bring it to the ergonomically correct height: about 6" below the elbow. I had the table top laminated at the cabinet shop, and spray painted it black. LOVE IT!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-234229.jpe  
Old 07-31-2011, 10:23 AM

Here's a link to the post about my table. We were remodeling and having some custom built-ins (nothing fancy) made by our carpenter, so I gave him a picture and sketch. Things I like best are that it is on wheels...large casters so it rolls easily...and has a drop leaf on the back. The top is formica with a wooden lip at the edge for a very smooth surface. And, of course, I love the cubbyholes.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-95249-1.htm

Anita
Old 07-31-2011, 11:38 AM

What a great sewing room! I'm jealous.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:33 PM

This was my solution There is a "salavage" store that had just removed cabinets from a Ramada Inn in our area, so I purchased 2 cabinets . My Husband then screwed them to- gether and made a platform out of 2x4's. Then placed the cabinets on top of that platform. I was very lucky because the top came from a lunch room table. The top had a cracked-end, so he cut that off and just placed it on top of the cabinets. So I have a great cutting and design surface, plus 3 sliding drawers and lots of storage under the drawers. On the ends which weren't finished, we placed peg-board so I could hang my rulers, etc. I believe there is a standard height but I personally like my a little taller than most folks do.
I had been looking for a close-out on display cabinets at Lowes, but these came along for $40.00 vrs $100.00.
Hope all the ideas you get help you out.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
I used two small bookcases that were 24" wide and 32" tall as the supports. Then, I added a purchased piece of melamine board that measures 30" x 48". I bought the melamine adhesive stripping to cover the raw edges around the board. This is working very well for me and was only a minimal cost. Gives me storage space below, too.
Very nice, looks so professional!