Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My husband just doesn't understand. >

My husband just doesn't understand.

My husband just doesn't understand.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:03 AM

I don't necessarily like to mend or patch but if the garment is worth it I will do it out of love for my family including adult kids & gandkids. THere are alot of other things I am not to crazy about but I do them anyway...dishes, bathroom cleaning, hauling groceries home in sub zero cold or oppressive heat & humidity. I think it is kind of cute when my adult kids come to me for mending, spot removal advice. If it is more than a couple of minute project they will help make dinner, do dishes or whatever I need.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:19 AM

I don't patch especially jeans. There are a few things if the hem is coming down or I need a button. Just very simple things that need attention on some good clothes.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:24 AM

I will patch small, let me repeat that, small, holes that are easily taken care of. I will not however replace the zipper in your jeans even if you've only worn them once and you are my very special DGS!
Old 10-13-2011, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
I hate patching cloths my kids bring me jeans all the time to patch and I usually do it but here is a pair I refused! LOL
My brother used to take jeans like that to my mother regularly. He stopped when she started putting pink and lime patches over the holes. As for me, when my kids had things that needed mending, I'd put them in the mending pile until they outgrew them and then took them to Goodwill for the rag bin.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by paulswalia
tell him that asking a quilter to patch is like asking Picasso to paint your garage!

Exactly!
Old 10-13-2011, 09:16 AM

The only way I will patch jeans is with an iron-on patch, usually at the knee (inside the leg, not on the outside surface). Luckily, my husband is OK with this.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:20 AM

I agree! I don't want to patch holes, take anything in or let it out. I don't want to make or alter anything for anyone...not even grandchildren. I like to quilt and only quilt. My husband doesn't question it and asks carefully if he needs something fixed that can't easily be replaced.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:29 AM

I recently tried to patch my DH's jeans. They were fairly new. It didn't work and it was frustating. They are now in my saved jeans pile. I too have been asked to alter clothes and I always say now and refer them to an alteration shop.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:37 AM

My ex husband ask me to patch a pair of his jeans once. Being a good wife I went ahead and patched them. The hole was up in the crotch area and I was so proud of the finished work I had done. He was a trucker and he would stop and shower along the way and get clean clothes on. WELL! I didnt realize it, but as he got back in the truck and headed down the highway he hit a bump in the road and a pin got him in the crotch. I guess it was so painful he had to pull all 18 wheeles off the road and jump out and take a look at what had invaded his crotch area. He never asked me to patch anything after that.Maybe thats why he is now my ex hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm lol
Old 10-13-2011, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Trisha Bevan
My ex husband ask me to patch a pair of his jeans once. .... He never asked me to patch anything after that.Maybe thats why he is now my ex hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm lol
rofl rofl rofl