Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
An email from WalMart >

An email from WalMart

An email from WalMart

Old 07-30-2010, 06:39 PM

I agree with you. I find I hardly go to WM much anymore. They don't have anything much I need anymore!
Old 07-30-2010, 06:47 PM

I recently shopped at a QS, only because I had to take my machine in for service & my friend works there. From there, I went to Hobby Lobby for the first time, I was not too impressed & they were a little more expensive than Joann's. I am usually a Joann's shopper but the point I'm trying to make is that I saw some of the SAME material in all 3 places as well as WalMart which I had been to a few days ago! Of the 4 stores, Joann's was the best price. When I do go to the QS that my friend is at, I only buy on sale or remnants on sale. I have gotten some great 'buys'! But I see no reason to pay $8.99/yd for the same thing I can get at Joann's for $3-4.99/yd! On my last visit to Walmart, I was disappointed in their fabrics & the saleswoman said she thought they were going to get rid of the dept. Our Hancock's went out of business years ago & I really miss them. I don't like buying online because the colors aren't true. I also got 'burned' from one company when I bought a large amount of fabric based on 45" as they told me. After removing selvedges, it was 41" & I was short about 3" for a special quilt for my DH & had to 'patch' it on the back! So, they're not leaving us quilters & sewers much of a choice. Is it a conspiracy? :?: Also our LQS has a bad rep for being rude & discourteous which I found to be true. :cry:
Old 07-30-2010, 06:50 PM

I refuse to shop walmart for anything. The fact that the local family owned fabric stores were put out of business then walmart stops selling fabric locally has driven myself and lots of other people in this small place elsewhere. I have the same idea all the locals do here I have to travel so far for fabric I might as well do my shopping where there is more of a selection and better prices and not at walmart.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:31 PM

True True Patrice. However, some of us are not lucky enough to have a LQS close by. I wish we did. The closest one to me is 85 miles away. When Wal Mart ( had ) their fabric this town had no other choice. I did buy some nice fabric over the years from Wally, and we tried everything short of chaining ourselves to the store to get them to keep the fabric dept. We are already missing it so much and it's only been three or four months now. What they have to offer in place of that dept. really stinks. I know most places judge what they put in on floor space, well the way they arranged the store after the remodel there is so much empty floor space. Too bad someone can't open a LQS here in town, but I know the cost of doing so with this size town is prohibitive. We just have to suffer the loss.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:16 PM
Dee

Thats the same E-Mail they sent me in reply to my letter to them. :cry:
Old 07-30-2010, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dee
Thats the same E-Mail they sent me in reply to my letter to them. :cry:
Right.

I am sure no one of importance is reading our emails to WalMart - I believe they have a slave wage worker scanning the emails, and if "Fabric" comes up they hit a button and send out this stock reply letter.

I also do not think it's a problem of them getting someone who can do the math or cut correctly. I have no doubt it's because they do not want to pay anyone to cut.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by fratcat
the reason Walmarts ended the fabric department is because they had a hard time finding workers that could actually cut the fabric. It takes intelligence and math skills to cut fabric, and just take a look at some of those that are hired at Walmart., that's the answer. Have you ever tried to actually get help from a Walmart worker. Standard answer, "That's not my department area., i will send someone to you." and then you wait, wait, wait. Enough said abt. Walmart.
Yes, at one time I cut my own fabric , took it to customer service told them what I did , they figured the price and I bought it. Said, thank you paid for it and walked out of the store. My husband about passed out for what I did. I got what I wanted.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:46 PM

We don;t have fabric in our Walmart and now I seldom go there. Not as much because no fabric but because they screwed the stores around, I can't find anything. I also have no LQS because she decided not to return after Ike. W also have no fabric store. In another city north of here, people complained so much that Walmart did put fabric back in one store. I always wonder who's brilliant mind at Walmart made this decision. Hw should be fired.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:51 PM

Just read about Connecting Threads on another forum. They are all American made fabrics and are having sales going on. Look at that forum.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:51 PM

Just read about Connecting Threads on another forum. They are all American made fabrics and are having sales going on. Look at that forum.