Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Long Marriages------------ Thank you >

Long Marriages------------ Thank you

Long Marriages------------ Thank you

Old 08-27-2010, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
(I was reading another post about a wedding anniversary and I felt urged to post)

I want to thank all of you who have been in your marriage a long time.

Although things can happen and divorce can happen to anyone. I am not judging.

For those of you that have been in a marriage a long time you are an inspiration.
When divorces can be $350 if you just file the papers and walk away. Younger generations have no idea what it takes to make a marriage last. They have not grown up and seen it.
I was 17 and engaged before I met someone who was still married after many many years. (They are celebrating 50 years next year!)

So although you may not know it you are hope. You are not trying to be but you are a role model. When a young couple sees you and knows how many years you have you give them that little feeling what if we can do that too.

Everyone I know was divorced, my parents, my friends parents my aunts everyone.
My grandparents probably would have still been married but both of my grandfathers past away before I was born so I never saw it.

I am a young wife just past 9 years. I almost walked away once and I came back as I thought my marriage was worth fighting for.

I will say again Thank you
Thank you! My hubby and I are married 50 yrs on Aug. 13th, this year. It just does not seem possible that so many years have flown by. We have 4 adult children and 12 grandkids and 1 great granddaughter. They are fun and I love them all.

Many years ago, we were having financial problems and I can't tell you how difficult it was for me to stay but I did because he is my best friend and I dearly love him and it is worth it. Most of the friends we have known for about 45 yrs. are all married over 40 years; however, some widowed at an early age and a couple divorced.

Keep up the good work and know that God is the center of our life and home. He keeps it all together for us.

Donna
Old 08-27-2010, 03:58 PM

For newly married couples, and those who are planning on it.

ADIVCE ==Marriage is NOT everyone giving 50 percent in the marriage, it is BOTH of you giving ONE HUNDRED percent to this
important and life long union. Life is hard, with unexpected stumbles and some lean years and maybe health issues for one or
both, but with God's help and lots of love, you will make it for a life time of love with that special person.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:59 PM

50 years, this past February. We have seen many changes around the world in the last 50 years. I'm glad to say we raised 2 daughters that celebrated 23 years this summer, 3 months apart. They nearly killed me that summer, but they both have good marriages and 3 children each. God is so GOOD.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
(I was reading another post about a wedding anniversary and I felt urged to post)

I want to thank all of you who have been in your marriage a long time.

Although things can happen and divorce can happen to anyone. I am not judging.

For those of you that have been in a marriage a long time you are an inspiration.
When divorces can be $350 if you just file the papers and walk away. Younger generations have no idea what it takes to make a marriage last. They have not grown up and seen it.
I was 17 and engaged before I met someone who was still married after many many years. (They are celebrating 50 years next year!)

So although you may not know it you are hope. You are not trying to be but you are a role model. When a young couple sees you and knows how many years you have you give them that little feeling what if we can do that too.

Everyone I know was divorced, my parents, my friends parents my aunts everyone.
My grandparents probably would have still been married but both of my grandfathers past away before I was born so I never saw it.

I am a young wife just past 9 years. I almost walked away once and I came back as I thought my marriage was worth fighting for.

I will say again Thank you
I love this. My husband and I have been married for 35 years soon to be 36. I too almost messed up my marriage at one time. It is truly worth working on. Though it may not be all roses at all times. I am very blessed to have a wonderful man who loves me for me. To all the newly married people. It takes a lot of work, but it is well worth it. Anything worth having is worth the time and work. So lets show this world that marriage is worth saving. May God bless you all.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:24 PM

I have been married for 41 years.

Granny K
Old 08-27-2010, 04:29 PM

AbbyQuilts,
Great post, thanks for sharing. Reminded me of my daughters comments not so long ago. She remarked that her Dad and I were the only people she knew who had been married a long time with out being divorced, (21yrs). Not quite so as I had to point out the others which we knew, although truthfully there weren’t many. Like you, she said it gave her hope for the future on some level, now if she would just find a partner and give me a Granchild :lol: before I really loose all hope :)

Maybe1day
Old 08-27-2010, 04:42 PM

Whod've thunk we'd have our 40th was this past May! I was 7 months pregnant when we married and he left for Vietnam the following Saturday. My parents had both been married and divorced (to others) before we were born and my sister divorced and remarried. In our case, opposites did attract, as I am very spoiled and have a rotten temper-tho I've mellowed with age!- and DH is laid back and easy going all the time. He's my very best friend and confidante. Makes me wonder if him being gone so much during his military career helped any!
Old 08-27-2010, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by UglyCook
It's all about 2 people giving 150% and forgiving 100%. We're going on 22 years and we love each other more each day.
Oh my goodness, I totally forgot again! Our anniversary was Aug. 24th and like normal, I forgot. Like I tell my kids. We must be having the time of our lives because we are still having fun and not counting days to the next celabration. So lets see, I think this should be year 25 for us. I will have to check.
By the way, Thanks for the reminder this is one time I can tell my hubby we missed it again before he remembers. He's usally the one that has to remind me.

Life is to short to worry about how long we have been togather, just enjoy each day you have to spend with that special person so when they are no longer here you will have plenty of memories to fall back on.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:48 PM

What a great thread. :) My wife, Melissa, and I have been married 22 years so far, and there have been challenges as well as great joys during that time. More than once I've wondered whether it was worth it, and I know she has, too. But we've always managed to make our way through the tough times by the love we have for one another.

I think marriage is about extending grace, even when it is undeserved, and being thankful for it when it comes back to you as well.

Again, great topic, thank you for posting it. :D
Old 08-27-2010, 04:56 PM

We have been married 47 years this coming February. It has not been all glorious but I can say I am happier now than ever! I can't believe 47 years have gone by! I wouldn't trade a minute of it with anyone. We are best friends and love being together all the time now that we are retired. He does woodworking and has a shop and I quilt, so we do get away from each other for an hour or two but we are always just a few steps away. When we married, we chose to not even have the D-word in our vocabulary and have weathered the storms life has thrown at us. You have to have love but, above all, you have to be best friends. You have to support each other and be there when the other needs it. I wish all you newlyweds (under 10 years) a wonderful life!