Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you say when somesone shows you their project >

what do you say when somesone shows you their project

what do you say when somesone shows you their project

Old 03-01-2011, 03:16 PM

I try not even to say to myself that I think something is unattractive, not well made, ect. I find the things about it that I like and focus on those. Do unto others....I always figure it could just as easily be my work someone is looking at and I would hope they would have the kindness to only say something nice. Unless someone is really looking for advice or help, a polite comment is normally the best thing to give.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:43 PM

Makes me think of my dad, who is now gone. When he would see a new baby that he thought wasn't so pretty, he would say with a smile and great enthusiasm, "Now that's a baby!"
I think we can all do a version of that:)
Old 03-01-2011, 04:10 PM

Can tell you what not to say. More than one person told me if you like it that is all that matters. I didn't make it. Someone made it for me. Please don't use that phrase. Made me question the item. Know what? I love it anyhow because it was made with kindness and love.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:11 PM

I am one that can always find something good to say about someones work. I was a 4th grade teacher and saw how devastated students were when their art work did not receive one good comment from the show judges. I believe that everyone does the best they can at that point in time. Give a good comment and you will be appreciated for a long time!
Old 03-01-2011, 04:13 PM

my mama always saID "If you can't saY any thing nice don't say any thing at all" she was a very smart woman.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:20 PM

I find I can always make a comment about one of the fabrics used. "OH, I love that shade of green its so refreshing and reminds me of spring,"
"Oh, I find it so hard to use yellow, I love the shade you chose". etc. etc.
My Mother always told me to say something nice (even when it hurt to do so)
Old 03-01-2011, 04:27 PM

I generally see the best features of anyone's work and if required (asked) to comment, I point out the positives. If someone genuinely wants to have the flaws noted (as I often do if I'm talking to an expert), in order to improve their skills, I try to make it constructive and encouraging. No one likes to be put - down at any time, and I notice that it is sometimes uncalled for and out of jealousy.
Especially if someone is inexperienced, we need to encourage without too much "babying" or criticism in order to keep the interest alive and not intimidating.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:30 PM

There are some people who are called to be critics. They rarely are universally liked, much less loved.

Find something nice to say. My mother frequently told me that if I always did and said the kind thing, I would never remember it, but that if I did or said something unkind, I would never forget it. She was absolutely right.

Not one of us has been appointed to be part of the quilt police department and we should not volunteer our services.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:33 PM

Amen to that!! That's what my tag says on my emails...Be kinder than necessary,for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle! You never know do you? The women in my old group were very conservative and weren't too thrilled by "my color choices" I like brights. And they would always say ' That's interesting" Pippi65
Old 03-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by clem55
I truely believe that you can always find something that is nice to say. If that person is actually asking for your advice or opinion, then maybe it'd okay to offer constructive opinions, but even then, find nice first, give opinion last.
EXACTLY! You can always find something nice to say about any quilt. People put a whole lot of themselves into their creations, so BE CAREFUL...
The word "interesting", to me, means "It's awful". I would also say nothing at all rather than tell someone to "keep practicing".