Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When to buy thread? >

When to buy thread?

When to buy thread?

Old 05-22-2011, 01:42 PM

Well, what I'm about to say may have already been said, but at the risk of being redundant, I'm going to throw in my 2 cents.

There are only 2 reasons I would toss a spool of thread. If I am sewing and my thread starts breaking, or acting up, I remove my thread and take a good look at it.

If it appears to be uneven on the spool, not smooth but bumpy or crimpy, I toss it. This can occur any time on a spool, it happens during the winding process. The crimps are permanent, once they are there that's it.

If the spool looks okay, I let about 8" of thread drop from the spool. As I hold the spool up, if the thread curls or loops as it hangs, it will curl and loop in my machine as well. It should hang perfectly straight. I'll toss it if it doesn't.

If you have metallic thread that causes you grief, check how it hangs from the spool. Not straight? That's why you are having problems with it.

If you wind a bobbin with thread that was uneven on the spool or does not hang right, you will experience problems when you sew.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:06 PM

Thread may deteriorate but not in 1 year. Does that mean quilts need to be unravelled and requilted every year??????????? I don't think so, folks.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by babyfireo4
I would say she was helping the lqs. If thread holds the quilt together for years and years why would it even be possible for it to go bad within one year? It just doesn't add up to me :/
I agree with you on that one, it just doesnt make any sense to me. I have thread that I bought when it was on sale 2 and 3 years ago when I was filling my thread rack up after I built it. I like to know that I have thread on hand for a project if I start it on the fly.

Billy
Old 05-23-2011, 09:00 AM

At times you will find thread that isn't good, but for the most part I haven't have a lot of problems with it and I think I have 300 spools or more, a lot for my embroidery machine, I do find from time to time there is one that doesn't work well with that, and even new threads don't work on some machines. Some of the embroidery thread doesn't work well on my other machines for some reason.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:54 PM

I have never heard that and I have some thread I bought a long time ago when thread was much cheaper and I still use it and it seems to be fine. Maybe it might depend on what fabric your using. I even have some my aunt had when she worked for Coat's & Clark many yrs ago and it's fine. Sue
Old 06-07-2011, 04:48 PM

You are in a dry state so I would suggest you store your thread in the freezer closed in plastic bags - that way it won't disintegrate. I had to do that when I lived there and it worked well for me. I never had any problem with thread drying out.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:43 PM

The only time I discard is when it's soiled. A lot of my sewing stuff has been stored in the barn and sometimes my things get unpacked and not repacked properly...
Old 06-08-2011, 01:02 AM

Oh my word. She must have a great big pocketbook. (where I came from that means lots of money)
Robin in TX
Old 06-08-2011, 02:43 PM

It may be time to buy thread Joann's has a sale in their new booklets. Time to get colors we want or need.
Have fun. Sue
Old 06-09-2011, 05:00 AM

Yes, that person has to think we all have big pockets.

I do love lots of thread for my embroidery machine and have lots for sewing also, but never have I just toss thread. I have some that is many, many years old and as long as it still works, I keep it. From time to time I have got thread that just will not work on my sewing machines. That you can use it for hand work.