Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What tools or products do you use from other hobbies for Quilting?  Please share your ideas and I will make a list of them for us in my pages for all of us to enjoy! >

What tools or products do you use from other hobbies for Quilting? Please share your ideas and I will make a list of them for us in my pages for all of us to enjoy!

What tools or products do you use from other hobbies for Quilting? Please share your ideas and I will make a list of them for us in my pages for all of us to enjoy!

Old 03-21-2011, 07:58 PM

i used my wavey paper cutter from Creative Memories (for scrapbooking) to cut out some applique vines. used a light bond stablizer and ran the blade over the fabric a couple of times. gave me nice even vines.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-173177.jpe  
Old 03-21-2011, 08:27 PM

Craftybear you are just too good to us.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:28 PM

Use a pan lid holder mounted to the wall next to my cutting table to hold my rulers.

Use a lazy susan type kitchen utensil holder for pencils /scissors / small sewing tools.

Use pipe cleaners for dusting around bobbin case.

Use small clamps (spring type)to be my third hand, clip clamp and fabric to table and to hold while I rip seams.

Use comic book boxes to hold patterns, they are longer than pattern boxes.
Use the tacky stuff (that you hang posters with) to put on my sewing machine to hold my seam ripper. got this tip form the board previously
Old 03-21-2011, 08:49 PM

I have a lovely chop stick with a pony bead glued to one end, I use it for poking out corners and the bead is colorful so I don't loose it.

I use a rubber mallet for seams, it used to be used for leather seams.

I use a wall paper brayer to smoth out small seams so I don't have to get up and go to the ironing board every few minutes.

I use old prescription bottles for old pins, needles, blades of all types. I put them in the bottles for disposal. I would hate for someone to get stuck or cut by some of my quilting supplies.

Those heavy plastic bags that sheets and linens come in they make great project holders. I put fabric, embellishments and anything else pertaining to the project in the bag with the pattern on top so I can see what the project is. (If I don't by the time I get around to it in 5, 10, or 20 years, I will not be able to remember what it's all for.)

I use those colorful wine holders for storing tall things. I have one for knitting needles, A few for stablizers, I have old plastic bags in some, you get the picture.

I get the old product holders at the Dollar General store, they are shaped just like magazine holders, and I cover them with contact paper, one Quilt magazine holder. Free.

Can't think of anymore right now.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:13 PM

I use paper towel or toilet rolls to hold my binding for quilts waited to be quilted.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:19 PM

a 6" ruler from the hardware store. It looks similar to the sewing one, but is steel and so much stronger.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:56 PM

60 inch metal straight edge, and a carpenters square (DH got me my own) works great for squaring up large projects.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:40 AM

I call these 'hobbies'.
From the kitchen: I use the plastic mayo jars with the screw off lids. Popsicle sticks make handy throw away glue applicators and they are also useful for pressing while paper piecing.
From the den: I like the wire mesh stackable trays for holding current quilt magazines. I have a sectioned mail holder for rulers.
From the closet: The hanging mesh organizers are highly functional and most of these have been mentioned.
From the laundry room: storing WIPs in baskets of course this is not for everyone. LOL
Thanks craftybear for starting these listings. :-)
Old 03-22-2011, 03:49 AM

door peepers to use as reducing glass
small stretchy pony tail holders to wrap around bobbins
plastic milk cartons as template material - won't melt if you use an iron
small travel spray bottles for starch/water to take to a class for ironing
cookie tins for small take along projects
Old 03-22-2011, 03:50 AM

Scribbler Tablets from dollar store for paper piecing. Some of the paper is sort of like newspring. Can be run thru printer to print out pattern (nice clean edges) Also can be torn out about 12 sheets at a time (the glue suff on top holds sheets together) remove thread from sewing machine, use large machine needle and "sew" pattern for PP. The pre preforation makes removing paper easy.

FREE Quilting Newsletter