Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone curse when quilting? >

Does anyone curse when quilting?

Does anyone curse when quilting?

Old 05-26-2011, 08:09 PM

Oh, how relieved I am to read others' experiences with the log cabin. It looked so easy to me. My quilt guild board decided that we would each make 12 of the floral log cabin blocks that someone on here shared with us a few weeks ago. I fell in love with that quilt and had shared the pictures with my friends. So, when they said we would each make 12 blocks to exchange with each other, I was excited. Ha! I went to a quilt retreat two weeks ago determined to get my first attempt at 12 log cabin blocks made. I sewed, unsewed, resewed and unsewed again. Thank goodness there was a log cabin princess there to help me figure out what it was I had done wrong. I think I finally have it now, but that "easiest of all log cabin blocks" you guys are talking about was not that easy to get into my brain. I was so frustrated!!! And, yes when I get really upset, I do cuss, fuss and throw right into a box, putting it away until I feel better about working on it again. Don't give up, they're really pretty when you finally get the hang of it!!
Old 05-26-2011, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieF
Not only have I cursed while quilting, but I have been known to toss a half finished quilt on the floor and stomp on it.
There! That'll teach it to behave! I've got one going right now I want to stomp on. I'm going to leave it alone for the night and come back in the morning when it decides to cooperate!
Old 05-26-2011, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by craftymatt2
I am worse than a sailor and trucker put together. And whats worse than that, is me answering me.
I can identify with this. I try not to curse but ...oh well. Sometimes it just feels good to get it out, and then I can keep sewing.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:00 PM

Only in 2 languages.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Originally Posted by apronlady
I'm a comedian not a screamer/curser!
Learn to curse funny. lol
I have been know to say "oh you stitch" instead of "oh you B_____"(rhymes?) you could slash 2 at a time on the diagonal and switch the pieces then sew them back together and call it a new pattern:) or tip them at an angle into a square so they look better. Would the quilting police show up?
Seriously taking a break is helpful. Done that too. Has anyone cut the log cabin block into 4 squares and made a 9 patch by alternating them with solid squares? Has that already been done?
Old 05-26-2011, 10:43 PM

Log Cabin seems easy because it'a all straight sewing; however, the thing to remember in all quilting is accuracy - both in cutting and sewing consistent quarter-inch seams. Try to let the fabric feed through the machine without tugging on it because that could skew it too. In the end, keep at it and follow the advice given ... either cut them down to the smallest block or add another border and cut it down so they're all the same size.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by deedee75
I used to have kids in my home 24/7 so I trained myself not to use actual curse words. I use a couple of strange ones. "Suck an Elf!" which I picked up from a tv movie that the kids watched constantly. (10th Kingdom) "Slug in a ditch!" Yet another tv related curse, this time one that TPTB used for tv editing of an actual cursing. But my most common one is "You Big Ugly Dog!" I didn't know how much I said that one until my oldest niece asked if that was the name of my computer when I was first learning my photo editing software.
You make me laugh esp.about your niece. I also say ringle jingle dingle pox or a variation- it came from a kids book where the giant was swearing "The Giant Who Threw Tantrums"
Old 05-26-2011, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Tinabodina
Before I retired, I used my quilting as an outlet. I was like you; wanted to hurry up and get it done. After I decided to slow down and make my quilting "MY TIME", it was fun. Quilting is not a hurry up process. Don't worry about your mistakes. Take your time and enjoy your time alone. My moto is:

Forgive your imperfections,
accept your faults, and laugh.
Perfect comes from a factory; beautiful comes from a quilter. Progress not perfection.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
When I make log cabin blocks I cut as I go and make the
"the logs" about 1/8-1/4" wider & 1/2" longer than needed so that I can trim as I sew them, built in fudge factor.
My log cabin blocks are totally scrappy. You can look at a picture of one of them here:
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...45965719chaqYB
Sharon W.
Truly amazing. Thank you for showing them.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
First of all, your avatar is beautiful!

Funny you should ask. The first time I did a log cabin I didn't like it... too many pieces; having to clip and pull it out of the machine, press; etc. Wasn't going to do that anymore. And getting them to come out to the correct size, yuk! :-( :thumbdown:

However, I worked on a pattern from Jo Morton's book in a class once. We sewed, starched, pressed and squared up every strip we sewed on. The blocks were only 5" squared when finished. I hated it.

Through that I learned that if I expected everything to be perfect (which everyone in the class seemed to be) I was never going to finish a quilt. So, I learned to accept my imperfect finished squares AND finished the little 15" x 15" piece we were making. I loved it.

Now, I only finger press after each strip is attached, try to square up after every strip is sewn and LOVE my block HOWEVER it turns out. Log Cabin is my very favorite block. I am currently collecting floral pieces of fabric to make log cabins similar to Barnbum's beautiful floral log cabins. :-D

You might, in the end, just learn to love Log Cabins as I have!

PS: now if "I" look at my finished log cabins, I see all of the imperfect strips and often the center square is uneven but no one ever comments on those. I will see if I can find the photos.
I like the color choice and the delicate look.