Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab >

Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab

Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab

Old 07-17-2011, 04:48 PM

A bit of an aside here, can you tell me the year of the sewing machine in your avatar?
Old 07-17-2011, 05:25 PM

I'm there too . my hubby thinks I'm crazy. lol But I'm sure he's right. HA HA
Old 07-17-2011, 05:38 PM

I think you are talking about me. Everywhere I look there is
fabric or projects to be completed, etc. I only have 4 irons and
2 ironing boards. Hang in there.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:46 PM

did you come into my house and I didn't see you????? My cousin told me to clean out my junk before I die, and I told her I like my junk and that is my daughter's job.

I am a fabricholic, I buy it each week and have no intentions of stopping.

So you're not alone,
Old 07-17-2011, 05:48 PM

My first inclination was to chuckle, but I feel your pain, and I share your addiction. I've been purchase-free for the last six weeks (yea!) and now automatically delete all tempting emails unopened. It's a good feeling. I've given all my things away as gifts or charity, but for you maybe it would be a good idea to rent a booth at a fall or Christmas market and sell some of your handiwork. Someone will appreciate it, you can be sure. Some churches that have markets don't charge their members for booth space. Good luck!
Old 07-17-2011, 06:06 PM

When I worked at Joanns, strangely I began buying remnants of fleece. I am a dyer so I guess that that was my reason. I just spent 5 hours total today cleaning my quilting room and dyeing area in the basement. I have decided to go through the pile of fleece, measure and sell on Craig' list as a lot. I also bought some knitting stuff when I was recovering from surgery. Now that I am mostly better, every knitting thing is going out ala Craig's List as well. Having "free space" is so refreshing.

SUGGESTIONS.
1. Your finished quilt tops - pay to have the ones you want to keep quilted by a long arm quilter - edge to edge design is the most economical usually.
2. See if there is a trade school or classes for women to learn skills and better themselves. You can donate machines or items for a tax discount.
3. I decide how much per year I am going to spend TOTAL on quilting. I go to the bank on the 1st of the month and get my "allotment." We don't use credit cards and my husband has the only debit card. I have cash only for the week for ALL expenses. You would be surprised how much you pass up if you can only use what you have on hand.
4. If you haven't touched it for a year, get rid of it. Maybe someone would barter with you for a finished top etc.
5. Make a list of the UFO's. Stick it next to where you sew. DO NOT do the grocery bag thing. If it is put away, you will never finish it.
5. If you have moved from one style of quilting to another, or some of your color choices have changed etc, have a sale, list stuff on line...most of all, try to be organized. I try to spend an hour or two each week, usually after dinner per week to try and clean.
GOOD LUCK.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:45 PM

I wish I could come over to your house and bind your quilts for you. I love this step, it means it's done!
Old 07-17-2011, 07:10 PM

well to start, let me tell you there no cure for us as im still going throught buying withdrawals it just comes and goes fast throught out my hands and i click to buy ,quilt shops love me as they send me extra little thank you gifts and the delivery guys all know me by name and they come in all the way to my driveway and knock on door to hand it to me in person of couse i give them all treats and we talk for awhile about family and things yes i also know them all by name too, and yes they try to make it before my husband gets home from work so i won,t get in trouble and explain my buying more stuff again im out of control , so if you find a good rehab please please let know to sign myself inn, my family well thank you so much
Old 07-17-2011, 07:13 PM

Hey don't panic....me goes back to the US twice & year.....& gues what...yes - ENID, Oklahoma is a place I do go to.

So now I am wondering....do you have any civil war reproduction fabrics or any Japanese reproduction prints .....as thats my passion of making quilts with those fabrics......if so - you could email me pics & if they are suitable for what I make etc - then I will glady pay for cost of shipping to Australia...or if you like whenst I get there later on this year (approx Christmas - yippee) I could catch up with you then & purchase those specified fabrics.

How's about it....reckon you want to give it a try?

Warm regards,
Jane
Old 07-17-2011, 07:33 PM

Help us !!!! WHYAT MEDICINE ?????